Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Tube Quilting Question >
  • Tube Quilting Question

• Tube Quilting Question

Old 01-24-2018, 07:04 AM

I think sewing your strips 2 or 4 strips first, then joining those, so you don't get test wavy possibility, would be safer. And, I think the only thing that would hinder you cutting into tubes would be the length of your ruler-if I'm understanding your question.
    Old 01-24-2018, 07:37 AM

I used the tube method to make a bargello wall hanging using 12 strips at a workshop. I found lining up the seams on the tube to be a right old pain in the you-know-what. I pinned mine to make sure the strips didn't shift when cutting; but if I was making one again, I would use smaller strip sets and join in the end, it would be quicker. Many of the others in the workshop gave up and switched to strip set.
    Old 01-24-2018, 12:35 PM

I have sewn about 20 strips, 4" wide, side by side into a tube, pressed seams (which is easier with a larger tube), and cut slices with the cutting board inside the tube so I was only cutting one layer at a time. They came out satisfactory that way.
    Old 01-25-2018, 06:37 AM

[QUOTE=quilting cat;7989387]I have sewn about 20 strips, 4" wide, side by side into a tube, pressed seams (which is easier with a larger tube), and cut slices with the cutting board inside the tube so I was only cutting one layer at a time. They came out satisfactory that way.[/QUOTE)

great tip! - better accuracy that way!

Last edited by Geri B; 01-25-2018 at 06:39 AM.
    Old 01-25-2018, 07:38 AM

I think that the only thing that would limit you is the size of your cutting mat. You need to be able to cut strip evenly (I assume you are making a bargello).
    Old 01-25-2018, 11:53 AM
    Power Poster

Are you referring to sewing a strata? then cutting wedges or strips from that?
    Old 01-25-2018, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog
    This is also the method for making Trip Around the World. It is important to sew seams carefully, press carefully, and always keep the tube lined up squarely with the markings on the cutting mat. You need a measure of patience to do this with ltubes that have a large number of strips.
    I made a Queen TAW using Eleanor Burns QID pattern. I made tubes with many strips. Be careful sewing your strips, press as you go, and if you must fold your tube to make cutting it easier, nest the seams between each other as you line it up, and cut. Do not try to hurry this, you will make the mistake I did the first time, and have to sew small pieces to replace the strip you cut wrong.
    Old 01-25-2018, 05:43 PM

The other trick so you don't have a bend in the middle is to sew from different ends. For example when you see your first two strips together, start your third strip at the end of your first two, the sew your fourth one at the end of your third one. Does this make sense?

i have sewn forty strips together and did it this way and didn't have the bowing in the middle.
    Old 01-25-2018, 06:08 PM

It is a very pretty quilt. If you are referring to the inside of the quilt as your 1-1/2" squares, there are only sets of 6 and 5 squares. I don't think you would need to sew all 28 together in one set. If you make 2 sets of 5, and 4 sets of 6, you will fully utilize your 28 sets, or different fabrics (if that is what it is). As the each "elbow" in the quilt has a set of 6 and of 5, you'll need to remove one square off one of your sets of 6 to get your even sets.
    Old 01-30-2018, 07:08 AM

What is this pattern? Love it!