Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • A TV, a Nook or a Kindle Fire  for my sewing room .....???? >
  • A TV, a Nook or a Kindle Fire for my sewing room .....????

• A TV, a Nook or a Kindle Fire for my sewing room .....????

Old 03-08-2013, 05:19 AM

I have a Nook color. I am upgrading to a Nook tablet. I have had my nook for 2 years and love it. I have quilt magazine subscriptions downloaded to it and also have the nook ap on my laptop so I can get the magazines on it also without extra charge. I have had no problems with it and it rides in my purse everywhere with me. It also does games well. My grandchildren always want to play with it when we are out and about. It keeps them occupied.
    Old 03-08-2013, 05:26 AM

I have a Kindle (not fire, just a reader, but I love it), and also an iPad. However, while sewing I like to listen to audiobooks, which I borrow from the library. In fact, I've been known to download the audiobook CDs into a playlist on my iPod (can you tell I like electronic gadgets?) so that I don't even have to change the disc every hour or so.

In your case, I'd choose the tv.
    Old 03-08-2013, 05:51 AM

I love my Kindle Fire. I use mine mainly for reading. The screen is to small for me to watch shows or movies on. I also use it for reading recipes from the internet on. I'd go for the tv if it was me. It's a shame that it's an all-in-one. You'd be safer with two seperate units. Congrats on award!!!!
    Old 03-08-2013, 05:53 AM

Ditto on the TV. I love having mine on. Listen to it more than watch, but can't imagine using my Kindle in sewing room.
    Old 03-08-2013, 06:01 AM

IMHO the E readers will soon become obsolete due to the fact that the tablets are ereaders on steriods and so much more versatile, by next xmas the price are ereaders will bottom out. I would think you would get more bang for your buck by getting the tv.
    I have a TV in my sewing room and though I don't "watch" it while I sew, I do listen. I can get music stations on cable too which I often do. Put on some classical and start FMQ...boy I've got a nice "job"
    Old 03-08-2013, 06:06 AM

I have a Kindle fire which I love but I would pick a TV in the sewing room because you can glance at it easily if you want to watch a movie or something else. And if you have a quilting DVD you play it and follow along as you work on the quilt. I would like that the best even more than movies.
    Old 03-08-2013, 06:19 AM

I have a small t.v that I listen to while I sew, love it!
    Old 03-08-2013, 06:33 AM

The fire is more versatile then the nook so if you went with a tablet you might want to consider the kindle instead although the nexus something (I forgot the name) has a comparable option that is supposed to be fantastic as well.

I honestly don't know how comfortable any tablet would be for watching tv though. Unless you have a set up like dish network that lets you watch on any device you are going to be relatively stuck with a few shows.

On the other hand you can definitely use the tablet for searching the internet for whatever your needs are.

Personally I use my tv more in my sewing room and use my laptop when I need to search something.
    Old 03-08-2013, 06:36 AM

I'd go with the TV. The kindle is too small.I love mine for reading books but I like the TV while sewing.
    Old 03-08-2013, 06:46 AM

I vote for the kindle, there are tons of free books, you have a lot of free apps, you can access your computer with a free app called splash top, and more and more quilting books are being added to Kindle every day. I got mine in October and wonder how I ever did without it.
    Pat