Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Two questions: about spray starch and about cordless irons >
  • Two questions: about spray starch and about cordless irons

• Two questions: about spray starch and about cordless irons

Old 05-29-2019, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Cordless Iron questions .......
    How long does it stay hot, before needing to go to its charging station?
    If it is "drained" how long before it is fully charged?

For example ... when pressing a finished quilt, or the backing ... it could be off the charger for a long time.

Thank you!
    The cordless irons I've seen don't have a battery in them; they are similar to cordless kettles with a base that allows them to heat up. The initial heat-up time is about the same as a corded iron. As soon as you take it off the base, it quits "adding" heat; you just get the heat that is in the iron. I find that if I'm ironing yardage, I can do a whole ironing board worth, and the iron will stay hot. Then I sit it on the base while I reposition the fabric, and it's ready to go for the next length. Basically, any time you put it down, instead of setting it on its end, you put it on the base. You can iron for hours that way.
    Old 05-29-2019, 05:45 PM
    Power Poster

Thanks Jennifer23 ... for the explanation as to how it works and your experiences.
    The cool down time and re-heat time had always been what I had wondered about.

All good to know .... and hoping this does not jinx things that I need an iron any time soon!
    Old 05-30-2019, 02:34 AM

I do appreciate all your informative replies!!!! You are all super wonderful!
    Old 05-30-2019, 02:39 AM

I do appreciate all your informative replies!!!! You are all super wonderful!
    I ended up ordering panasonic WL600. It was much less than the other cordless 360 ones! Was tempted to try the cordless one that was not 360 but it still was over $100.00. It looked to be light green with a standard shaped sole plate. Hope I made the right choice!
    Old 05-30-2019, 02:41 AM

They are somewhat cheaper in the USA but cost more in Canada (amazon.ca) because of exchange or heaven knows why!
    Old 03-17-2020, 12:23 AM

The owner of Panasonic cordless iron here. I have Panasonic NI-WL602 model I really love. The fact that it’s cordless and lightweight lets you tomaneuver easier. It heats up quickly and keeps the temperature well. Here is the review on it https://pickadvisor.org/best-cordless-iron/
    Old 03-17-2020, 03:13 AM

Panasonic cordless 360...and your over spraying and not waiting long enough for it to soak into the fabric. They recommend waiting 10 mins before ironing...Works for me.
    Old 03-17-2020, 07:52 AM

I have the cordless Panasonic, too. Not having a cord is a great feature, but my go to iron is an old T-Fal corded. I've had many irons, gravity feed and many of the other expensive corded irons. I find there's a lot of fiddling with the cordless Panasonic: it turns off, have to adjust to make sure it's hot enough. My sewing machine and design boards are all in reach of my corded iron and I can rely on it's being heated. I also think the Panasonic doesn't get as hot. So, I would base your decision on how important not having a cord is.

Old 03-17-2020, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by illinois
    My opinion is that most of us are an impatient lot and we spray and press to quickly. The starch needs time to soak "into" the fabric rather than "on" it. The gunk on the iron is essentially the starch sticking there instead of the fabric.
    I agree with this. My iron used to gunked up and I'd have to clean it regularly. Now I spray the starch on my fabric and then let it sit. Then I press from the opposite side that I sprayed on. I rarely have problems getting brown gunky starch on the bottom of my iron now.