Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Two steps forward, one step back... >
  • Two steps forward, one step back...

• Two steps forward, one step back...

Old 12-23-2011, 04:41 PM

Well that explains why my skills as a FMQer never improves. I try it and work on it for a while and then get frustrated and quit. Try it agin some time later .....same thing. Who knew?????
    Old 12-23-2011, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    It's not ideal but I put an old needle in my machine and leave it unthreaded. I also take out the bobbin. I put on my FMQ foot and set my machine for FMQ. Instead of a fabric sandwich, I use a sheet of paper to sew out my design, usually a large feather. It allows me to keep my speed and movement consistent and I can even check my stitch length by looking at the puncture marks. I also use it to practice some designs before I move to sample sandwiches.
    Thank you so much for this tip! I will start practicing this way.
    Old 12-23-2011, 06:56 PM

Love the paper idea - I have lots of it from stamping that I can now use up.
    Old 12-23-2011, 07:00 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Tartan
    It's not ideal but I put an old needle in my machine and leave it unthreaded. I also take out the bobbin. I put on my FMQ foot and set my machine for FMQ. Instead of a fabric sandwich, I use a sheet of paper to sew out my design, usually a large feather. It allows me to keep my speed and movement consistent and I can even check my stitch length by looking at the puncture marks. I also use it to practice some designs before I move to sample sandwiches.
    YEP, this is the ONLY way to teach beginners..and the only way to practice!!!
    Old 12-23-2011, 08:07 PM

We all get a little rusty but it all comes back. Just take your time.
    Old 12-23-2011, 09:57 PM
    Power Poster

I like the method of practicing with the old needle and paper, really is easier to come up with than a sandwich. I am going to try that and drawing designs to follow and see how it goes. Thanks for the idea, Tartan.
    Old 12-24-2011, 04:17 AM

You are so right. I got myself a long arm machine last April and was doing pretty good practicing my meandering. I have been making the jelly roll 1600 quilts so I would have several to practice my techniques on. But like you, I got bogged down with other things for a bit and got away from the machine. When I finally hung a quilt on the long arm and got ready to quilt it, it was like I had never done it before. YIKES!!!!! So my goal now is to make several (many) quilt tops at a time and then I can do one after another to hone my meandering techniques again.
    Old 12-24-2011, 04:32 AM

I feel that way EVERY time I quilt for a customer. I only do about one a month. As most of the patterns I do are free hand, I have been know to forget what I did at the beginning by the time I get to the end. Sheesh! I spend a lot of time doodling before I start a new pattern. or quilt. Then I repeat with the machine before I mount the quilt. Still my heart is in my mouth when I begin.
    MaryKatherine
    Old 12-24-2011, 04:43 AM

paper practice is great but before going back to a real quilt, practice on a real sandwich....i have a printed panel that was damaged so it was in a give~away bin and i sandwiched it with a decent (but not great color) backing and a good piece of regular batting....this is for the last 5 or 10 minutes of practice before going to real quilt.....the very last thing i do is my name (or DD,DS's or GC) and if it actually looks like my cursive then i am ready to go. BTW love FMQ
    Old 12-24-2011, 05:26 AM

Sounds like a New Year's Resolution for me - "to be able to say I Love FMQ by the end of 2012.

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles
    paper practice is great but before going back to a real quilt, practice on a real sandwich....i have a printed panel that was damaged so it was in a give~away bin and i sandwiched it with a decent (but not great color) backing and a good piece of regular batting....this is for the last 5 or 10 minutes of practice before going to real quilt.....the very last thing i do is my name (or DD,DS's or GC) and if it actually looks like my cursive then i am ready to go. BTW love FMQ