Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Tying a quile >
  • Tying a quile

• Tying a quile

Old 11-11-2010, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Patched
    I want to know what you use to tie a quilt, embroidery floss, yarn or what. Also how big is to big to tie a quilt, is 73 x 92 to big to tie or what is the biggest size. Also I have signed up twice at JoAnn's and still have not received any thing on the computer or in the mail. No coupons, no newsletters or no fliers in the mail. What do I need to do? Thank you all for your help with my questions, but most of all thank you for sharing all of your projects and all of the helpful advice. I also like the fact that you treat everyone alike, that no question is to dumb. Thanks, again.
    For what it's worth - I just tied a quilt for the first time (baby quilt) and was told to use cotton as anything else would be too slippery and wouldn't hold a knot.
    Old 11-11-2010, 07:14 PM

I had the same problem with JoAnns and it turned out that my address was wrong. The only way I got it cleared up was to go to the post office and talk to them. They were kind enough to track it down and found out that my address was not typed correctly. I am on Old Black Horse Pike and the address read Black Horse Pike. It made a lot of difference. Good Luck!
    Old 11-11-2010, 07:18 PM

I didn't have good luck with the only quilt I tied. I used regular yarn and it all came loose. Is there a certain knot that you should use? I just tied a square know.
    Old 11-11-2010, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sheree from Chicago
    Originally Posted by Patched
    I want to know what you use to tie a quilt, embroidery floss, yarn or what. Also how big is to big to tie a quilt, is 73 x 92 to big to tie or what is the biggest size. Also I have signed up twice at JoAnn's and still have not received any thing on the computer or in the mail. No coupons, no newsletters or no fliers in the mail. What do I need to do? Thank you all for your help with my questions, but most of all thank you for sharing all of your projects and all of the helpful advice. I also like the fact that you treat everyone alike, that no question is to dumb. Thanks, again.
    For what it's worth - I just tied a quilt for the first time (baby quilt) and was told to use cotton as anything else would be too slippery and wouldn't hold a knot.
    Have you tried a reefknot? Also known as square knot. Does not slip. Google reefknot how to. I use it all the time with all sorts of thread, never had a problem.
    Old 11-11-2010, 08:53 PM

I spread my hand out on quilt and the distance from little finger to index finger is where I tie and I usually use meduim weight cotton crochet thread.
    Old 11-11-2010, 09:01 PM

I use crochet thread, pearl cotton, embroidery floss, or Pretty Punch yarn.....
    Have tied up to king size. but usually use blankets instead of batting for tied quilts, as you can space much further apart--plus NEVER any bunching, etc.
    My favorite tip---a drop of fray check on each knot to keep them tied----drop it on when trimming them so I know it is done! Wash them and wash them, and they stay tied!
    Old 11-11-2010, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Kat Sews
    I have tied quilts as large as king size. I use yarn, but make sure that it is 3 ply like baby yarn because 4 ply yarn sometimes unties it's self.
    I've tied whole cloth quilts with 4-ply yarn and used square knots (pull very tight) and they haven't untied. I leave tails of about 1 - 1 1/4 in. Just this week I was looking at one of my GS's very faded quilt which is about 15 years old and used very much. Not one knot has untied. And it's been washed A LOT.
    Old 11-11-2010, 10:34 PM

I've used all of the above and very narrow ribbon. The last one I did, I tacked it on the sewing machine (it was minky so it doesn't show) then I put the ribbon thru and tied bows and dobbed them with ftay check. It was for one of my DGD, so that is the reason for the bows.
    Old 11-11-2010, 10:44 PM
    Power Poster

I like using crocheting thread. You know the stuff that comes in a ball.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeaIyAyg_cs
    Old 11-11-2010, 10:50 PM

We use crochet thread and double it so you are tying with two strands. We tie every six inches.