Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • tying quilts >
  • tying quilts

• tying quilts

Old 09-22-2011, 09:07 PM
    QM
    Power Poster

Do what works for you. I get really sore wrists if I tie. sometimes I machine tack. Usually I machine quilt. It's OK to tie your quilts. Many people prefer them that way.

If you are having trouble with machine quilting, there are some main reasons for that, IMHO:
    1. no walking foot (called by various names)
    2. trying to do free motion work without dropping/controlling the feed dogs and using an embroidry/darning foot.
    3. poor preparation a. You need to press the whole quilt well before you start.
    4. poor preparation b. You need to pin/baste well before you start.
    5. poofy batting without a LA takes lots of skill/practice. Don't try to start there.

Remember, none of us is perfect. neither are our quilts.

Tying has its own problems. My dear hubby wanted a poofy tied flannel quilt. I made him one. His parrot crefully untied nearly every tie. Some small children do thsat too.
    Old 09-22-2011, 10:16 PM

I have tied almost all of my quilts. The few that weren't were special & were sent out to be quilted. I like the way tied quilts look. I use perle cotton, rather than yarn, embroidery floss, or crochet thread, as it doesn't fray like yarn, & comes in a variety of colors.Please don't feel inadequate about tying your quilts. They are special in their own way!!!!
    Old 09-22-2011, 10:49 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Greenheron
    Before bonded batting, tied quilts were only possible if the filling was something other than batt: a worn out quilt, old blanket, flannel petticoats or stitched together rags. I'm sure desperate homemakers filled tied quilts with cornhusks, newspaper, whatever they could get hold of to keep the family warm during hard times. Remember, too, down comforts and feather beds.

Batts HAD to be quilted and closely otherwise they clumped. They(batts) were not practical tied then, as they can be today.

I think a tied quilt would be pretty with buttons fastened with the tying thread--haven't tried, though.
    I don't know about that one. We had hand tied quilts back in the 1950s. The batts were made from wool. If the blanket got out of shape they just cut the knots, removed the batt from the covering and sent the batt to the woolen mill to be re-carded. Then the blanket was put back together or mended depending on how worn the cover was.
    Old 09-22-2011, 11:10 PM

I have tied many.
    Old 09-22-2011, 11:37 PM

Tied quilts are puffy and fluffy after being washed and dried, in contrast to Longarm quilting, where the quilt tends to flatten; with elaborate closely-stitched quilts the flattest of all. If your quilt top isn't perfectly flat, well, tie that quilt! The perfect solution: no one will ever know!
    Old 09-23-2011, 01:02 AM

Good Morning Dianna,
    I too have tied some of my quilts. I think they are beautiful, a break from hand quilting and machine sewing.
    Puts me in mind of those days when we visited "Grandma's", and we would sleep under her magnificant hand-made quilts.

Looking forward to your pics.
    CruisingStef
    Old 09-23-2011, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
    Tied Quilts are fine... I have been known to machine tack many a quilt ... I like machine tacking better than tieing.
    I just learned about this method from the board. Can't wait to try it on my next quilt. After vacation to Boston next week. I NEED this.
    Old 09-23-2011, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
    Tied Quilts are fine... I have been known to machine tack many a quilt ... I like machine tacking better than tieing.
    I just learned about this method from the board. Can't wait to try it on my next quilt. After vacation to Boston next week. I NEED this.
    Old 09-23-2011, 03:30 AM

Totally agree tied quilts have a special charm.
    Old 09-23-2011, 05:19 AM

I Love ties quilts. I used to help gram, & my mom way back when we used to make quilts out of necessity just so we would have bedding! also if you put a tiny bit of glue between the first half & last half of your knot, it wont show or come untied as soon. shaz