Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Typically I use only one white/off white for all of my sewing and quilting.... >
  • Typically I use only one white/off white for all of my sewing and quilting....

• Typically I use only one white/off white for all of my sewing and quilting....

Old 01-23-2014, 10:15 AM

I have various types of bobbin holders for each of the machines I use regularly and I fill all the bobbins I have empty for each machine. I keep holders next to each machine. When piecing on my Featherweight, I usually fill 8-10 bobbins at a time. Same for my Brother. Don't use my Kenmore as much so I have fewer bobbins wound for him.
    Old 01-23-2014, 10:44 AM

Does the pre wound come in cotton and polyester? I would like to try this on my little portable Janome, but I have enough trouble with my Bernina that i would be afraid to try pre wounds on it. Has anyone used pre wounds on a Bernina. Our Bernina dealer is not open to any suggestions for items they don't sell and makes it sound like anything else will ruin the machine and void the warranty. In fact they are so adamant about this that I am afraid to ask!
    Old 01-23-2014, 12:51 PM

I love the thought of the prewound bobbins. I would like to try them.
    Old 01-23-2014, 01:56 PM

I pre-wind a bunch of bobbins at a time, too.

Especially on a customer's quilt I need to keep track of materials I use (I usually charge a fixed amount plus whatever materials are required). Since I change colors alot in my quilting I can't just keep track of the spools of thread - frequently I only use a small amount of a particular color or weight. So instead I charge by the bobbin, and keep track of the number I use. I have figured out a good average price for the thread I use, figured out how much thread is on a bobbin and came up with a price per bobbin (which is actually the price of two times the bobbin amount to take into account the top thread!) Since I've been doing this I feel a lot more confident that I am charging a pretty accurate amount for the thread I use, and I have a much better idea of just how much thread goes into a quilt! (It's a lot, by the way.)

And pre-filling bobbins certainly keeps my quilting flow going!

Alison
    Old 01-23-2014, 03:17 PM

For those of you who use the prewound bobbins, do you ever find that there is a problem with the quality of the thread in the prewound? I have been taught that you are to use the same type of thread at top and in the bobbin or you will have problems . I have religiously followed this command so am curious.
    Old 01-23-2014, 03:32 PM

I use one of 4 possible colors for piecing: white, beige, pale gray and black. Although I don't have many wound ahead of time, I'm seriously thinking about trying that after reading this post. Thanks for the tip! I do wind as many bobbins as I think I'll need, and in the color I'll need, at the outset of a project so I don't have to disrupt my sewing to wind a bobbin. I use the same color in the top and bobbin.
    Old 01-23-2014, 04:13 PM

I also do that if I only have one spool of the thread. My machine is a semi-industrial so it has a built in bobbin winder. So I usually get to spools of the same thread.
    Old 01-23-2014, 05:20 PM

My 9 year old granddaughter makes the rubber band bracelets on a loom that are so popular. Those rubber bands are perfect for putting around a thread spool or a bobbin to keep thread from tangling. Also even better you can buy the rubber band refills at the dollar store. Can't beat that and I have enough rubber bands to last me a long time.
    Old 01-23-2014, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by LORNAD
    My 9 year old granddaughter makes the rubber band bracelets on a loom that are so popular. Those rubber bands are perfect for putting around a thread spool or a bobbin to keep thread from tangling. Also even better you can buy the rubber band refills at the dollar store. Can't beat that and I have enough rubber bands to last me a long time.
    Thank you for posting about the elastics for the looms, they are very reasonable and would work.
    Old 01-23-2014, 07:23 PM

Me, too. Great minds think alike...