Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • UFO's? Nonsense! They don't exist! >
  • UFO's? Nonsense! They don't exist!

• UFO's? Nonsense! They don't exist!

Old 04-18-2016, 07:40 AM

Why do quilters call them UFO's? They are either Unfinished Projects, or Unfinished Quilts, but I don't like to think of them as Unfinished Objects! I'm with Watson -- lets just call them Works In Progress! And yes, I have lots of them. Just since the first of the year I have four or five small quilts that I have started, one on hold for applique and some I rotate between.
    Old 04-18-2016, 09:00 AM

I prefer to say I'm working on my PHD - projects half done.
    Old 04-18-2016, 09:01 AM

I had to decide what would be a definite UFO and what would be a work in progress. I have come to the conclusion that I have one UFO that I am going to finish this week (finally found a backing fabric I like). I have a pieced top for our queen sized bed that I am dreading the "shove thru the Juki" and get it done phase. I have four WIP that I occasionally work on in the evening when DH is watching tv. I have one pieced top that's panels with dogs and I just can't decide whether to quilt it or put it on the sale page. So I'd say two true UFOs, soon to be one! Last year after my forced retirement I decided that I would complete a quilt within a month of piecing the top. So far I'm doing well with sticking to my plan.
    Old 04-18-2016, 09:36 AM
    Power Poster

I have gotten back into sewing clothing and little purses and such for my little niece. She loves them so much! It is so much fun but, it does take time away from my quilting. I also have two separate stashes, one is charity donation and one is personal projects. It is like having two stacks of ufo's. I try to finish them in order of importance. But, sometimes I have to do something just fun and for no reason. It makes for a demanding schedule on my part. Because I know the charity ones are so important to do.

I also have old embroidery pieces from my mom's life I want to re-make into modern day pieces to gift to her grand children. She was very prolific!

Only so much time and money. What is a gal to do?

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 04-18-2016 at 09:39 AM.
    Old 04-18-2016, 10:10 AM

I have so many unfinished knitting projects I decided when I started quilting I wouldn't have any ufo's. I started a class hand quilt though and hated the colour combination, I bought the fabric online and they didn't work so I couldn't find the enthusiasm to finish it and my quilting ground to a halt. A couple of months ago at the last minute I signed up for a rag quilt course, I'm so glad I did as completing a quilt in a couple of weeks got me back into it and I finally finished that UFO on the weekend, I still don't like it, but it feels so good to have it done. Next quilt is planned and I'm excited to get going.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]548135[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails img_20160417_1851502_rewind.jpg  
    Old 04-18-2016, 10:24 AM
    Power Poster

Love that hexagon quilt, so bright and pretty!!!! Gives me a good idea, but then i'd have some UFO's too till i finish it.
    I have some EPP projects I'm working on. both stars, same pattern. the first is a 60* star, pink and purple stars held together with a soft buttery yellow, I put it on hold to make my bed quilt, same design but in aqua and whites. they aren't ufo's yet, just in progress.

if they are laying around too long, the I donate the tops. Oh, and lets not forget the premie minis i'm making for AnnaQuilts. But i gave myself till the end of the year for that.
    Old 04-18-2016, 11:01 AM

One of our quilt shops had a contest a couple years ago -- I won a prize for completing over 50 projects (these were projects that were sewing related, and included making flannel receiving blankets with crocheted edges.) Since that time I have completed 8 more projects. Four will be entered in this year's quilt show. My rule for myself is if I find a UFO when looking for anything in my sewing room I have to finish it. Somewhere I have a double wedding ring half finished, and an applique quilt half finished. Of course there are many hidden in there that I can't even remember! I've taken great pride in the fact that in the last two years I have finished every project I started. In 2014 I created just one UFO.
    Old 04-18-2016, 11:17 AM

The reason I have quilts that are unfinished is simply due to losing interest. I have one for my husband that needs to be sandwiched and one for my daughter that needs a border. I have one quilt that I started but lost interest quickly because I did not like the colors I picked out or the pattern. I also started a scrappy quilt for myself that has yet to be worked on. I also have a bag that the pattern has been cut out but needs to be sewn. Yeah, I have more unfinished projects than I thought!
    Old 04-18-2016, 11:23 AM

I also lose interest sometimes after I start something and it's not as exciting/pretty/fun as I thought it would be. Life's too short for me to spend time on projects just to get them done, in my opinion.
    Old 04-18-2016, 11:49 AM
    Power Poster

I don't like putting the sandwich together so I have MANY flimsies (finished tops) piled high. I am also a little timid when it comes to FMQ (but I'm getting more adventurous) which is why I have some sandwiched quilts waiting for me to have the time.