Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • UGH!!!!! >
  • UGH!!!!!

• UGH!!!!!

Old 06-23-2010, 02:20 PM

I probably shop on Joann's 80% of the time and get MOST of my fabric and gadgets there. The closest Joann's is 30 min away (there Are 2 in opposite directions) and one a little over 1 hour away (which I went to yesterday). The coupons are usually only good for 1 item or 1 cut of fab. They count a whole bolt purchased at 1 cut, or if you need more than a bolt, it still counts as 1. I use my coupons mostly for buying either better quality backing by the bolt (Kona), or if there is a great designer fabric I just can't live without (or wait in case it might go on sale sometime)as I did yesterday. I also use it for better quality batting, if I need it when it isn't on sale. I just used my 40% coupon to purchase 48 yards of Premium cotton (8.99/yd) for uniform shirts for my staff on line. Their ads come out a week or so in advance, and within the same flyer, you need to pay close attention to the dates each coupon is good for (I didn't notice the one I tried to use yesterday isn't effective until Saturday, but they took it anyway!). I need hand-quilting thread, but the ad says it is 50% off starting Saturday, so I will wait till then, then load up. They also have a coupon for an additional 10% off TOTAL PURCHASE-including sale items-which is good from July 2-3 and another one good Fri-Mon-in store OR on-line. Their Keepsake fabrics are on sale at least 30% frequently. Debby Mumm goes on sale 40% off next week-All of this helps when trying to keep costs of this expensive hobby down. My only complaint of the staff is that not many are quilters, so sometimes can't answer certain quilting questions. I have never found any staff to be anything but courteous
    Old 06-23-2010, 02:23 PM

Bottom line is, with their general sales and the 40% or 50% coupon, you can make anything in the store a sale price. My husband goes with me if I want to make use of more than one coupon at a time. You can pick up several flyers at a time in the store to get multiple coupons.
    Old 06-23-2010, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by fayedear
    May I vent please?? Why is it when Joann's gives you a 50 precent off coupon there are so many restrictions...? I hate it when I go there to use a coupon and any and everything I want is either already on "sale" or is not allowable for the coupon.. Just makes me so mad..Joann's is the only shop close to me and I hate it...
    Ok I am better now...

Faye in Ohio
    You think THAT'S bad. Try Macy's. I used to make enlarged copies of % off cards so I could see what the tiny print on red background excluded. Unfortunately got rid of that printer but at least they now put less tiny print on white background. Apparently enough of us complained. Our Joann's used to give 40% off the original price, even if item was on sale but that store closed and after a few bad experiences, I never go to the new one.
    Old 06-23-2010, 04:21 PM

That just happened to me at Hancock's this past week=end. All these hugh sales, except for a certain brand "Sew something" I went specifically to get white cotton (not muslin) and every white fabric I found was that specific brand, except of course for the fabric type I didn't want...rayon, flannel, silk, etc. It's maddening.
    Old 06-23-2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by iltoaz
    I guess I'll add to the Joann's venting. Went in and found fabric for a tote bag. It was marked at 7.99 a yard and had a 5.00/yard sticker on it. All I needed was one yard; had the fabric cut and when I questioned the price I was told that the 5.oo/yard meant that there was 5 yards on the bolt. I have been sewing for more years than I care to remember and have NEVER heard that one before. Because I really liked the fabric I bought it. So beware and really look at the ends of the bolts.
    Thanks for letting me vent.
    I was in JoAnn's today at lunch (in Auburn Hills, MI) and I saw bolts with those bright stickers on them and I to thought they were the price, then I looked at the white strip and there was the printed price so it's not hard to mistake those for prices.
    Old 06-23-2010, 06:50 PM

I only go to Joann's when I already know what I need and I take my coupons with me. If the item I need is not on sale, I use the coupon. If it is on sale, I might take the time to find something else to use a coupon to buy, but I've had the same experiences (applying discount to lowest priced item, etc.) so I don't use the coupon as my reason to go. Bonus if I can make use of it, but I'm not there because of it. In the past I've had a sort of 'wish list' of things I would use a coupon for if I'm in the store and one of those items is not on sale.

I also use the coupons for the pricey things like Ott Lites. But when they 'reduce prices' so frequently on things, I'm with those who just wish they'd lower the prices and forget the coupon foolishness...

Having said all that, I just got the flyer with some good savings on fabric July 11 to 17 (some 50% off) so I'm making my list since I'm gearing up for some Christmas stitchin' and I'll take the time to browse to see if they have interesting fabric.
    Old 06-23-2010, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by fabric=fun
    I am confused. . . Someone goes into a store that:

1. has too many items on sale (the reason for going is to get something cheaper),
    2. is close enough to go back with a 50% coupon when the item is not on sale (able then to get item at a greater % discount),
    3. has cutting and checkout service - (not like self service gas stations where your hands can get smelly snd one must interpret the computer messages alone)
    4. has some fabric at lower prices than the LQS to match different budgets (higher quality in most goods (think clothing) can often be more price-y)
    5. gets personal mailings about new and sale items sent directly (not hidden in the middle of a newspaper)
    6. has fabrics available that LQS's don't often carry (fleece, prequilted, iron on fusibles, home dec fabrics,etc)
    7. has multiple pattern books with many quilty accessories like purses and baby quilts that are frequently on sale at $.99 to $1.99 with multiple options in same pattern (not $8 to $12 per LQS one version patterns)
    8. often accepts competitors coupons like Michael's or A.C. Moore (few LQS's offer any coupons)
    9.has yarn, painting, scrap booking, fake flowers, home dec supplies, entertaining items etc. (yet doesn't expect knowledgeable sales persons with skill to impart about how to use them)
    10. has many/most sales persons working at low wages doing their best (there are rude and less competent persons in the best and worst of businesses)

What I wonder is:

1. why someone repeatedly goes back to collect more harrowing tales of discontent
    2. whether "thank you's" are given for courteous service
    3. whether a smile and kind word is offered to a stressed and possible on overtime sales person in an understaffed store before kindly requesting special or extra service or clarification of how an item is being advertised or sold

I know, I really don't need to open and read the posts that include these topics and I have no intent of embarrassing, offending or passing judgement on anyone who reads my post. I offer this perspective only as I enjoy the convenience, bargain prices, good service, and nearby locations of the 3 Joann's stores within 20 mins and 3 more within 45 mins of where I live. Thank you for reading my comments

The are NO LQSs near where I live in CT - just a JoAnns. Fortunately, there are several LQSs near me in Tucson. In both places, I use JoAnn's coupon's to save $$ on items like batting, thread, rotary blades & the bolt of muslin I bought recently. I think the people who work at JoAnn's are NOT the ones who make the mistakes, for the most part. It's the way the computers are set up. That's why I look at my sales slip and ask for the manager when I think there's been a mistake.

Someone mentioned that JoAnn stores are franchises. I didn't know that. That could explain why different stores have different ways of applying 'rules' for coupons etc.
    Old 06-23-2010, 07:34 PM

There seem to be JoAnn's all over the country. If you go to Tuscon for the winter & you ever get to Yuma, there is one there, too.
    Unfortunately for me, there isn't one in Lk Havasu City. It's a 2 hr. drive to Yuma for me. We do have 2 priceyLQSs though.
    Old 06-24-2010, 02:46 AM

When you buy their sale items, do you then use the member card that Joann's started about a year or so ago?

It is an additional 10% off the entire bill at the end .......
    excluding any coupon items.

It also helps with the final cost. They give you a card and after they total your bill, they swipe this card and the additional discount comes off.

Every little bit helps !

MaryJane
    Old 06-24-2010, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by mjsylvstr
    When you buy their sale items, do you then use the member card that Joann's started about a year or so ago?

It is an additional 10% off the entire bill at the end .......
    excluding any coupon items.

It also helps with the final cost. They give you a card and after they total your bill, they swipe this card and the additional discount comes off.

Every little bit helps !

MaryJane
    Are you talking about their credit card? Our store does not offer that extra 10% off discount card - lucky you. I like shopping at Joann's - most of the people are very friendly, helpful and courteous. Enough said by me on this subject.