Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Ugly colors/motivation >
  • Ugly colors/motivation

• Ugly colors/motivation

Old 06-21-2011, 05:04 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by willferg
    I recently made a blanket for some neighbors who are expecting their third girl. I figured maybe they were feeling done with pink, so I inquired about colors to the grandparents. I was told the nursery was yellow and green with a bit of purple.

I was so uninspired, and it was actually hard to find fabric that would work with those colors. I finally managed, and it came out far better than I would have thought, but I'm glad it's done.

Here's a pic:
    WOW, I think your quilt is DARLING & I LOVE the colors.

(Sorry, I don't share your un-inspiration to yellow, green Y& purple.) I've always loved pale yellow w/mint green shades of green. She's so right about different strokes for different folks.

Have a blessed day & may all your quilts be filled w/love.
    Old 06-21-2011, 05:05 AM
    jfs

You can make any quilt beautiful. Often, they don't look too appealing until they are done. Here's what I would do...take your main fabrics and audition them with every color of the rainbow and see which one makes them pop. Then add a bit of that color in with your 9-patches...maybe the centers, or in setting squares. That color can also be used in the binding and/or backing. Also, you can add white in there to dilute the ugly colors. I'm sure it will be beautiful when its finished, and they will appreciate you using "their" colors. Good luck.
    Old 06-21-2011, 05:08 AM

I recently started a quilt for a friend but I wasn't happy with the fabric I picked out and it was a stuggle to work on it. I've discovered that when I pick fabric, if I'm not crazy about it on the bolt I won't be motivated to work in it. After I got new fabric the quilt went together like a breeze. I like the advise not to try to match the room. Good Luck!
    Old 06-21-2011, 05:14 AM

It is very pretty. Sorry I like the colors.
    Old 06-21-2011, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by mhansen6
    http://www.sewitis.com/cgi-bin/Store...altreesflannel

Please look at this fabric. I recently made a baby quilt out of this fabric and it turned out really cute. It has your olive green and mustard yellow colors, but those colors are natural for a jungle theme. The flannel is really soft and I muted the colors with a cream accent. I don't think you would be disappointed in this choice of fabric.

Ahhhhhh, I wish I had seen this, soooo cute. I ended up with:
    http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail....7-8e2f284b227b

and then I picked an argyle green on sale for the backing, so I can practice quilting diamonds.

and yes! It's small! It will make my friends happy!!!

I love hearing about everyone's lest favorite experiences!
    Old 06-21-2011, 05:41 AM

Oops, sorry mhansen6. I am a U. of Miami mom ... orange and green... didnt mean to offend the ducks... UM mascot is an ibis named Sabestian ... lol.
    Old 06-21-2011, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by flowerjoy
    Oops, sorry mhansen6. I am a U. of Miami mom ... orange and green... didnt mean to offend the ducks... UM mascot is an ibis named Sabestian ... lol.
    No worries. We are just proud of our Ducks.
    Old 06-21-2011, 06:24 AM

Olive green/mustard doesn't inspire me, but lately parents seem to be picking very untraditional colors. Go to your LQS or store and "play" with some fat quarters to see what combinations you can get. Bet you will be surprised and will find some nice ones. (New Mom may tire of mustard yellow after changing a few diapers.LOL)
    Old 06-21-2011, 06:24 AM

I coming in late on this. I had a quilt in works for a cancer patient friend that was Fuschia and a print that was Fuschia and Turquois with white and another color I don't remember. These were colors that the materials looked good together, blended well. But Fuschia is a color I cannot sew with. I was making 9 patches for heavens sake and had to stop, and just do something else. I still did a 9 patch, but with a pink (the friend's color) I could work with. I gave the fabrics to my DD who also quilts and thought the fabrics went nicely together. That was about 5 years ago and the two sewn blocks and the material are still in a bag. I will give them to a charity. She obviously didn't really like working with the colors either.
    Old 06-21-2011, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by mizunogirl
    I decided to sew a crib quilt for friends of mine that are having a baby boy. She appreciates traditional things, so I decided to go with an easy nine patch. (Yes, I now have two crib quilts going...). I asked to see what the nursery is going to look like so I could coordinate. She and Hubby have decided on Olive Green and Mustard Yellow. I know different stroke for different folks, but I gotta say the room is a little extreme. But it is their choice. So I went and found flannel on Fabric.com (thanks for the tip guys) But I have not been able to bring myself to buy it. I found some striping and a yellowish jungle pattern to break it up but still.

What are the worst colors you have sewed with and did you get a total headache while doing it?
    As my mom would say about those colors "cow pie green and baby poop yellow" :D