Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • UGLY QUILT...HELP >
  • UGLY QUILT...HELP

• UGLY QUILT...HELP

Old 05-09-2011, 07:19 AM

I agree with Yonnika.

In each 4 unit block, focus on your center stars by putting two alike together, opposite each other. Navy plus Red, green plus yellow, gray plus red, gray plus navy, Navy plus yellow.

This teeny bit of unity will showcase your lovely blocks.

I like no sashing, but you can audition sashing by laying your blocks on fabric of different colors.
    Old 05-09-2011, 07:33 AM

I don't think it Ugly..
    I think it's clever and interesting.
    Solid color...dark ,green, brown or even black would look good.
    Keep on using those scraps....
    Old 05-09-2011, 07:45 AM

I don't think this is ugly at all! I have a real ugly on my bed, but it keeps me warm. Someone asked me how I figured out how to put all of the pieces together for the pattern. She obviously wasn't a quilter! (?) What pattern? I just filled up the foundation piece with scraps until it was full, then moved on to the next one. At least you have some consistency involved. Mine was a no-brainer.
    Old 05-09-2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Everyone has their own personal preferences. Depending on the rest of your blocks, there seems to be a red and a blue that are in most of your blocks. I would choose one of these two colors to sash with. I like a lot of color which usually influences my decision, so go with your preferences and it will be right.
    Me too!
    Old 05-09-2011, 08:17 AM

StephanieQueen, I have been looking at alot of scrappy quilt books to get ideas for my own eccentric stash and you might want to keep going and using up those scraps - and then put a solid inbetween the blocks. The color that instantly stood out to me, was the blue...but you could use any solid color that is in your block scrap colors. This would "calm" it down a bit. The library has lots of books with ideas, and also your local quilt guild might have some that will show some marvelous ways of combining your scraps (cost free). It will be LOVELY when you are done, I am sure.
    Old 05-09-2011, 08:50 AM

I like it without sashing. :-) So much fun!
    Old 05-09-2011, 09:25 AM
    Banned

But here's another take on it--if you really hate it, if you don't want to spend any more time on it, then you can allow yourself to abandon it. We learn by our mistakes, but that doesn't mean we have to suffer the results endlessly once something hasn't worked out for us. I once started making a pair of pajamas for my husband, and no matter how hard I tried to get them to fit they wouldn't, and looked hideous. Finally, one Saturday afternoon when I'd worked on them for another hour or two, I gave myself permission to take my sharpest scissors and cut them into a million pieces. When my husband and daughter came home, I said "Look, here's your PJs" and tossed the zillion pieces of fabric over my head. We all laughed ourselves silly, and I felt better knowing I wouldn't spend another minute on this fruitless endeavor.

On the other hand, looks like lots of encouraging suggestions here for helping you with this project. Could you post a picture of how it works out?
    Old 05-09-2011, 09:47 AM

I think if you keep turning your blocks you will find a larger pattern within the combined blocks.. You have some blocks with yellow fabric in the corner that resemble hearts. If you move those together, and move the other blocks similarly the pattern will flow into itself. You might even try sashing around the larger blocks. It's a LONG way from being a disaster. Walk away for 24 hours, and you will see it in a different light. Good wishes!!
    Old 05-09-2011, 10:12 AM

Oh, I see I did not say: I DON'T think it is UGLY at all!

:-D
    Old 05-09-2011, 11:21 AM

Keep going, this will be a wonderful quilt when finished. I, like Arline423, think if you were to just twist the blocks around, you will find you have several patterns that will pop out at you.