Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Underground Railroad Quilt >
  • Underground Railroad Quilt

• Underground Railroad Quilt

Old 08-01-2010, 02:17 PM

I may be a bit late for comment but Barbara Brackman also has a book out Facts and Fabrication etc. and of course Elinore Burns....
    Old 08-01-2010, 02:22 PM

I too found the "myth" or "true", very interesting and I am working on the Underground Railroad quilt myself. I have the Quilt in a day version. Just finished cutting out all the pieces, but have yet to begin to piece it..ha..ha.. True or not, I think the quit itself is interesting and for a Newbee like me,it will help me learn more.
    Old 08-01-2010, 04:05 PM

I have always believed the some of the story to be credible. Some people don't believe that the Holocaust happened either lol.....

Anyway, here is a link to some blocks with the pattern and will try to find some more. Those of you who have Block Base can find all these blocks in there, one just has to know the name of the block...also if you know the names, you can search on the web for free blocks.

http://www.singinwidasword.com/hidde...cher_guide.pdf
    Old 08-01-2010, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by JJs
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quilts_...round_Railroad

people can 'believe' whatever they want to believe, but making up stories doesn't make them true, and writing books and articles about the made up stories do not make them true...
    if you want to believe in the easter bunny and santa claus and quilt stories, you can do that....
    have fun...
    Wikipedia isn't a reliable souce, the information contained there is put there and edited by people just like you and me. Students are not allowed to use this as a source because of the invalidadity of alot of the information.
    Old 08-01-2010, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
    I think that she'll love any quilt you make. Although the Underground Railroad/quilt connection is purely speculation and quite a bit of romanticized fiction, the quilt itself can be used in teaching the value of hand made creations and the stories can still be told. If you are wanting a to make a quilt that would have some true history to it, check out the Hobo Quilt. It's made using fabric interpretations of actual hobo markings. Or, come up with your own design. I'm currently working on designing a quilt depicting either the miracles or parables of Christ.

OH! I can't wait to see THAT!!!!
    Old 08-01-2010, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
    Originally Posted by miholmes
    Wowsers

-I didn't realize this would be such a touchy subject. I guess I've always heard about not discussing politics and religion, I might be adding underground railroad quilts to that list. :)

But really like other posters have said, it will be a nice way to talk about the underground railroad, black history, and craftsmanship, and quilting etc.

So either way it will be a good conductor for teaching, as well as a warm and comfy quilt. :)

Thanks for everyone's feedback. And I didn't mean to stir up any hard feelings. I guess we all have our own opinions on the subject and we can agree to disagree.
    You should definitely tell her about the debate this set off. It will add to the her quilt's own history. You could even print some of the posts off with Precious Memories and use them on the back. It would surely make for some interesting discussions in her class and perhaps inspire others to really do some in-depth research on the subject.
    What an awesome idea!!!
    Old 08-01-2010, 05:00 PM

I live in Cincinnati, Ohio the home of the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center.

http://www.freedomcenter.org/underground-railroad/

About 50 miles upriver (Ohio River) there is the small town of Ripley, Ohio which has laid claim to one of the safe houses for slaves crossing the Ohio River.

http://www.ripleyohio.net/

Stories abound about the area along the River where the slaves crossed to freedom. Exactly where or How is not so important as much as is the fact that good people believed in freedom for all mankind and gave them the helping hand that made America so great.

This is a part of the rich history of the growth of our nation. Freedom for all. And like religion and politics, you can pick and choose what you want to believe or support. Freedom has given us this gift. And we can still be friends with those who do not always agree with our beliefs.
    We are quilters - we are generous, sharing and caring!

June in Cincinnati
    Old 08-01-2010, 05:04 PM

Hope your quilt brings about as much discussion and raised eyebrows.
    Old 08-01-2010, 05:10 PM
    Power Poster

http://infohost.nmt.edu/~breynold/quilts/library.html
    something like this book case quilt.
    Old 08-01-2010, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
    http://infohost.nmt.edu/~breynold/quilts/library.html
    something like this book case quilt.

I have had that library pattern for 10 years lol.