Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • unpicking quilting >
  • unpicking quilting

• unpicking quilting

Old 03-15-2014, 03:24 PM
    Power Poster

If the quilt doesn't have wrinkles in the back, I would clip out a section at a time and re-quilt. This way you don't have to baste the sandwich. The holes should shrink up when the quilt is washed.
    Old 03-15-2014, 05:42 PM

I hope she got her money back if she paid for the quilting!!
    Old 03-15-2014, 06:38 PM

Start with a nice, sharp (new) seam ripper! I worked for years with a certain ripper. Then I found a new one in a drawer and started using it...and went....oh, this is way easier! You'll be much happier with a new ripper. (Of course, I never made many mistakes so didn't have much experience with rippers -- NAHHHH, just kidding!)

How sad. Good luck.

The holes will come out when it's washed, but yeah, wait until it's re-quilted before washing.

Last edited by TeresaA; 03-15-2014 at 06:40 PM.
    Old 03-16-2014, 12:23 PM

I recently picked out a crib quilt that was my first attempt at FMQ. I hope to never have to pick out another quilt again. It took forever--well it seemed that way. It was much better cutting the bobbin thread than using the top thread but still not fun.
    Old 03-16-2014, 05:30 PM

Oh how sad. I hope you got your money back
    Old 03-16-2014, 05:43 PM

Tartan, you do come up with the most common sense problem solvers! I like the way your brain works!
    Old 03-16-2014, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by joy
    A friend and I are going to unpick the quilting on her lovely quilt... the quilter has not done a good job at all... it is king size so will take quite a while... absolutely beautiful and well worth doing again... she was going to use it and put a blanket over it !!! Any suggestions please... unfortunately she didn't wash the materials first so that could be a problem as I think it would have to be washed to get the sewing marks out... is there any other way instead of washing it please?
    Follow the advice of everyone who tells you not to wash the quilt top. Paper Princess is absolutely right on. froggyintexas
    Old 03-16-2014, 06:21 PM

Bless you both for doing this task. I ripped out small portions of FMQ I did and was not pleased with and that taught me to pay closer attention when doing FMQ so I don't have to rip. I would see if the person who did the work would be willing to rip it out. This I think is fair if it was a paid for job. If it was done by the generosity of her heart you really cannot complain.
    Old 03-17-2014, 12:27 AM

Is it the back of the quilt your friend is unhappy with? Or the front? It will always look better after it's washed. Or you could add some stitching to what's already there, especially around the squares where the quilter just stopped quilting. As for the jagged stitching, that could be removed and redone. It will save a lot of time vs. picking out all the quilting.

Last edited by DebbieJJ; 03-17-2014 at 12:29 AM.
    Old 03-17-2014, 04:27 AM

I agree with Debbie, I long arm, and if there is a place where I am not happy with, that shows up, I rip out just that and even on my short arm, can stitch to make it better. If shet hates the whole quilting then rip it out, however every time you rip out, it can distort the quilt. Please don't wash it until after it is requilted it, due to the shedding of the seam allowances. I find that since the fabrics were not pre-washed, once it is washed, the quilting doesn't show up as much, since the quilt is poofier. This is a huge job. If there are eyelashes on the back, definitely rip out from the back since the back tension was too tight. Hope this helps.
    Originally Posted by DebbieJJ
    Is it the back of the quilt your friend is unhappy with? Or the front? It will always look better after it's washed. Or you could add some stitching to what's already there, especially around the squares where the quilter just stopped quilting. As for the jagged stitching, that could be removed and redone. It will save a lot of time vs. picking out all the quilting.