Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Unusal Gift...Need my new family to help with ideas >
  • Unusal Gift...Need my new family to help with ideas

• Unusal Gift...Need my new family to help with ideas

Old 02-13-2011, 03:42 PM

Yesterday I was given a box full of fabric samples..., with more to come if I want them. They range in size from 3x6 to 12x12, they aren't all cotton and some of the tags on the ends say that they need to be dry cleaned. I know that I can make scrap quilts out of them and for the ones that are dry clean only I can make quilts out of just that and put a note on them to dry clean only.

My question is do you have any other ideas as to what can be done with them?

Nana Julie
    Old 02-13-2011, 03:45 PM

If you have different textures, I have seen where some have made "feely" mini quilts for special needs children...just a thought there too.
    Old 02-13-2011, 03:47 PM

REmember that even if they say to dry clean only, you can wash it yourself first and if it survives, then the quilt will be washable. I've found that many of the dry clean only fabrics will wash nicely.
    Old 02-13-2011, 03:48 PM

Hmmmmm.....What about a scrappy tote bag...Sleeve for a laptop computer...Candle coaster (for those in the big jars), or drink coasters, place mats...just a few things that popped into my head. :)
    Old 02-13-2011, 03:48 PM

I would seperate out the ones that need to be dry cleaned. You could still make a quilt and use wool batting. You could take the others and make bags, small or large. Be creative.
    Old 02-13-2011, 03:51 PM
    Power Poster

I buy lots of remnants, many are plush type curtaining with no backing. Even though some fabrics say dryclean only, the reality at our place is...nothing except expensive suits get drycleaned. I would handwash them to see how they hold up and if the colour runs. If it survives a wash it can go in a quilt.

Table runners and doona covers look great it non-cottons, as well as cushion covers.
    Old 02-13-2011, 04:03 PM

Don't forget all the mug rugs and quick table runners --charm quilts only use one piece of one color per project so you don't need to worry about not enough to do a charm quilt
    Old 02-13-2011, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tinabodina
    I would seperate out the ones that need to be dry cleaned. You could still make a quilt and use wool batting. You could take the others and make bags, small or large. Be creative.
    I think the same thing - sorting them by dry clean and non dry clean will also give you an idea of what you have - wallets and totes great idea
    Old 02-13-2011, 04:09 PM

There was a post I think that someone had made purses out of samples. Now where did I see that post? I think on this site.
    Old 02-13-2011, 04:38 PM

The Dry Clean only fabrics are usually made into crazy quilts. They are lovely here, and it's not a big quilt that is used on beds, so it will last a long time between cleanings. They are pretty to use as lap quilts watching TV, sitting in a lovely room with a pot of tea steaming beside you.
    In the real world, I keep mine on the back of my chair, so my cats won't sit on it, and so far they haven't been able to. They do on occasion knock the chair over trying to land on my lovely crazy quilt....