Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • UPDATE on "Is this Cheating" >
  • UPDATE on "Is this Cheating"

• UPDATE on "Is this Cheating"

Old 02-10-2011, 08:24 PM

I think you did the right thing. I think if I had told my Mom how I felt and that she was unfair to always criticizing me, I would have had a different relationship with her. As it was, she died without us ever connecting as adults,even tho we shared the same interests in handwork. I did learn never to criticize my kids, so lesson learned even tho it was painful
    Old 02-10-2011, 08:40 PM

wooo hoo. You go girlfriend. I know it had to be hard for you to speak to your Mom so boldly, but I am SO PROUD of you. You stood up for yourself against your biggest critic. Maybe she will think twice now before being so critical of you. Reading your post brought a smile to my face. Now, believe me, I truly believe in respect for our parents, but it took you doing what you did to stand up for yourself. Hold your head high, my friend!!!!! Big hugs, as always, Sandy
    Old 02-10-2011, 09:03 PM

Mum or not. Some days you just have to say it like it is.
    Old 02-10-2011, 09:17 PM

Along w/all the others, you didn't allow yourself to be intimidated by your Mom! Hooray! You are no longer six years old! Now maybe your response was the beginning for your Mom to realize it too. Continue to stick up for yourself. It sounds like there were more than one person in your sewing group that felt the same way, but have not wanted to cause a ruckus within your group by locking horns with your Mom. Here's to your new beginning w/your Mom and hope she realized she has had a daughter for a long time now, no longer a child! Who knows, she may even realize she has a new best friend! Patty
    Old 02-10-2011, 09:22 PM
    Dee

Good for you! Keep up the good work.
    Old 02-10-2011, 09:27 PM

you should go make up with her. you have no control over anyone else and should accept her for who she is. it took a recovery group to get me back with my Mom because we were always down each others throats. then she got real sick and died and i am so glad that I let her be her and kept my knose out of her business you would be surprized when she starts bitching at you and you start saying the serenity prayer: God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change,the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. I would say that while she was gripping at me and we would end up laughing. She has been gone for 11 years, I still miss the bitching,lol
    Old 02-10-2011, 09:34 PM

Way to demand respect! Good for you!.
    Old 02-10-2011, 09:53 PM

Good for you. You should not let anyone intimidate you and it does feel good to get it off your chest. I have done that and boy it was such a relief. Keep up the good work and don't fall back into the control trap.
    Old 02-10-2011, 10:18 PM

You did GOOD. Your Mom will probably never change her mind about the rules of quilting and that is ok. She simply needs to understand that you go by a different set of rules. If she starts in again on you about anything that she disapproves of you doing maybe you could tell her that while you love her very much you have chosen your own way in life and you would rather not hear about it again. My Mom is very special and never tells anyone what to do or not to do so I am blessed. But, I had to deal with my DMIL about some things while she was with us. I do miss her though. She could be sweet at times. She just liked things her way and her way usually wasn't mine. Be proud of yourself and it should be easier next time.
    Old 02-10-2011, 10:27 PM

So proud of you, big hug from Austalia.