Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • UPDATE on "Is this Cheating" >
  • UPDATE on "Is this Cheating"

• UPDATE on "Is this Cheating"

Old 02-08-2011, 09:59 PM

Bravo and well done! Hopefully, she will realize that her way isn't the only way. (I'm sew glad my mom doesn't sew, that's one problem with her I don't have) Bless you and your quilting. Keep on keepin on...
    Old 02-08-2011, 10:35 PM
    Power Poster

Well...looks like you're "all growed up" now! Seriously though, this issue was really bothering you and you did your research, sought advice, stuck to your guns and stood up for yourself. This is a good thing, it shows maturity, something that doesn't always come with adulthood. Don't worry, your mother will get over it....she sounds like a tough cookie. Anyway, you did it....now enjoy your quilting...whichever way you decide to do it.
    Old 02-08-2011, 10:35 PM

Sorry your mom felt she needed to be you "quilt police"and call you out in public. I think you did the right thing by standing up for yourself! It's hard to have a mom who is so critical of what you do - stand your ground!
    Old 02-08-2011, 10:48 PM

Just remind your mom kindly each time you see her that doing things differently from what she does doesn't mean you are cheating.

Apparently she thinks she should still have control over your life. Just keep standing up for yourself as kindly as possible. Eventually she will learn to keep her mouth shut.
    Old 02-08-2011, 11:06 PM

Can you show us the pictures of both the quilts? I love pictures:). Also, way to go! I've been putting up with my mom way too long. Her comments were along the lines of " why would anyone want to cut up all that fabric just to sew it back together again?" after I made her a quilt. Guess how many more she's gotten? (0)if you couldn't figure it out........
    Old 02-08-2011, 11:49 PM

I'm glad that you were able to stand up for yourself. I had a difficult time learning to do that with my own mother. My adult daughter and I were talking the other day about what you were going through and I was sort of checking to make sure that I wasn't stepping over her boundaries.
    I have always tried to respect boundaries with my children but I know that there must be times when I've step over their boundaries.

I think that sometimes mothers don't really understand how they sound to their adult children. I know that my mother didn't realize how she sounded when she "instructed" me on what she thought was best.
    laughing...I'm going to be 59 in a few days, married for 29 years and have raised my own children plus a step-daughter, and a neice. My mother is 92. She still tries to instruct me, but I now just thank her for her opinion and I will think about what she said and then make the decision that is best for me. :)

People live a long time on my mother's side of the family. A funny story happened when I was in my mid 20's. My 72 year old aunt came to visit my 93 year old grandmother. My grandmother lived right behind us so that we could look after her. One morning, my aunt came into the house laughing. She asked my mother to give her a cup of coffee because my grandmother (her mother) told her she drank too much coffee and shouldn't have anymore that day.

:lol: :lol:
    Old 02-08-2011, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by amma
    (((HUGS))) We need to be able to set boundaries, and that is what you did tonight :wink: No one has the right to talk to you like that. Stand your ground, be strong :D:D:D
    Warm thoughts from across the pond.
    Old 02-09-2011, 12:26 AM

I am glad that you stood up for yourself. I hope that your mom will understand and this will not cuase issues.

Just one question....Who are the Quilt Police on the QB?? I have not found them.

Kyia
    Old 02-09-2011, 12:32 AM
    Banned

Congratulations and BIG HUGS!!!! Maybe now she will realize that you are an adult now, not a little kid. I am SO proud of you. Just one more thing, and believe me I am DEADLY serious about this: If she EVER raises a hand to you, you need to tell her that if she dares to strike you, you will have her arrested for battery. And then follow through with it if she does. NOBODY has the right to strike you, even her. Period!

Of course if it were me, I would simply smile and say "Before you hit me, you'd better tell me which hospital ER you prefer to be taken to." But then, I'm a critical care nurse, and I know how to hurt 'em so they can't be fixed! Or so I tell 'em! LOL :shock:
    Old 02-09-2011, 02:04 AM

I am very proud of you. It isn't easy to stand up to anyone, especially your mother. Speaking up does make us feel better, and you did it in a nice way. Good luck.