Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Update on lost quilt >
  • Update on lost quilt

• Update on lost quilt

Old 01-07-2015, 08:01 AM
    Power Poster

It's theft and that is all there is to it. Get on one of the National News websites! That might help. Lot of up and coming investigating news reporters who want their name out there. Check the television station that handles the news for that city. worth a shot! Sometimes you need to give Karma a bit of a push. Another thing I was talking with DH last night and he said to check Craigslist and e-Bay. You just might see it. Do you have a photo of the quilt? Or give us a good description of it so we can keep an eye out.
    Old 01-07-2015, 08:11 AM

Send the info to the website http://lostquilt.com/
    Old 01-07-2015, 08:13 AM

oooooooooooooooo!! you guys are making me nervous. I just finished a quilt for my son, made from his deceased dad's shirts, and sent it usps. So am hoping it gets there- clear across the country. So far, the tracking only shows that it left the local post office. (Duh) Please send up your good thoughts for its arrival next Monday for me - it is insured, but there is no way to replace those cut up and much loved shirts!!

And I agree with earlier posts - make it absolutely easier for them to "find" the quilt than put you at the bottom of their long list. Be the squeakiest wheel ever, and I am praying for its safe return.
    Old 01-07-2015, 08:19 AM
    Power Poster

My sister got her 2 little quilts I sent on Dec. 31. yesterday Jan 6, 2015. Said it was a PIA to open but she got them. She said it also looked like it had been tampered with (gouge in corner about 2 inches from edge). She took it to the post office and asked them to explain. They said it had been tampered with and maybe a neighbor did it. Nope her daughter was home when the package arrived like that. They made a report because a couple other packages from other areas arrived in same manner. They are doing an investigation and the PM said it's stupid because security cameras are all over the offices to see how the mail handlers perform. She told him about luckily they were repairs and he said it didn't matter if it was just a small envelope that was tampered with , it's a federal felony tampering with the mail.
    Old 01-07-2015, 08:20 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by JoyjoyMarie
    oooooooooooooooo!! you guys are making me nervous. I just finished a quilt for my son, made from his deceased dad's shirts, and sent it usps. So am hoping it gets there- clear across the country. So far, the tracking only shows that it left the local post office. (Duh) Please send up your good thoughts for its arrival next Monday for me - it is insured, but there is no way to replace those cut up and much loved shirts!!

And I agree with earlier posts - make it absolutely easier for them to "find" the quilt than put you at the bottom of their long list. Be the squeakiest wheel ever, and I am praying for its safe return.
    Sending prayers your way.
    Old 01-07-2015, 09:59 AM
    Power Poster

I'm so sorry to hear about your lost quilt. It's obvious that someone opened the box and took your quilt. I'm always saddened when I hear stories like this, someone was obviously so callus that they have to steal someone's precious quilt, even having insurance won't get your quilt back.
    Old 01-07-2015, 10:06 AM

Ohhhh CRUD!! I am so sorry. I read the other thread and was so hopeful for a *positive* follow up. Don't give up and *definitely* be that squeaky wheel!!
    Old 01-07-2015, 10:14 AM

This makes me a bit nervous as I want to make a quilt for my daughter who lives in Holland. Now im not so sure as how to go about making it secure and not get lost.
    Old 01-07-2015, 10:43 AM

I'm sorry for your lost quilt. Stay on them to find it. I got dog collars I had ordered & were lost. Took several weeks but they found them. Thing is you need to get your local postal person to go to bat for you & make the calls to find it.

I shipped a queen sized quilt from PA to NE in December. I worried it'd get lost too & took the advice I read on line on how to ship quilts. This is what I did:

I used a space bag & shrunk it down to fit a large flat rate priority box. I pinned a to/from address label to the quilt & I also placed a typed label inside the box. I included left over fabrics & a Christmas ornament. I printed my label on line & did not have to state what I was shipping. I didn't ask for "signature required" but got it anyway. I added more insurance. Tracking was free. I put all items in the box & placed a piece of cardboard over them. I then taped closed, with heavy packing tape, every seam, on every side of the box, from one corner to the next. I then taped the label on & yes I taped over the UPS code. I taped across each flap 3-4 times. So almost the entire box had tape on it all the way around. My postal lady said..."You did a great job. This is what we like to see". I figure extra insurance & tape is cheap if it'll get my package there.

Good luck. Hope you get your quilt back.
    Old 01-07-2015, 10:51 AM

I had to send a phone for repair, packaged according to their instruction, the company's mailing label, prepard etc....
    I decided to purchase the tracking option. Good thing.....two weeks later, no deliver in CA..from TX.....I went to the PO and talked with the Postmaster.....they found that the package had made a stop in west TX....at a prison!

The warden called me back after I left a message....he was very upset....absolutely no phones are allowed for inmates.
    I gave him the name of the person who signed for it.....later that d3ay he called me back. He said he found the phone.
    Their internal mail department opens all packages, they opened the package and saw the phone and placed it in a special investigation area to determine the inmate who received it....they can get time added to their stay if they receive communication devices at the facility.......ending....they sent my phone back to me overnight and I started all over again. Next Story.....a county sent my office a check for $35,000......it never arrived....well later....9 months later with no explanation on the envelope...just showed up in the mail one day.