Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Upgrade to EQ7-- Do I or don't I?? >
  • Upgrade to EQ7-- Do I or don't I??

• Upgrade to EQ7-- Do I or don't I??

Old 06-01-2010, 10:16 AM

I have upgraded. I LOVE EQ5. Could never do EQ6. I had one of those DUH moments when I looked at the EQ7 requirements.... my system is too out of date for the the EQ6. Anyway, I love EQ, have always stayed on top of the upgrades and am now in the process of checking out a new computer for EQ7 and other programs.
    Old 06-01-2010, 01:41 PM

I like EQ6..it does all I need it to do for me...I'm not upgrading. I went thru the lessons and then started experimenting..I also go to the EQ webpage & read the newsletters. They are very helpful if you ask a question on their board
    Old 06-01-2010, 02:05 PM

Thanks, Shibori for your input. I ordered the upgrade even though I haven't mastered EQ6 yet. I just haven't had the time-life got in the way. We've had 3 deaths and 2 family members with major surgeries since December when I got my EQ6. Life has to improve now, right? right? I have no intention of selling mine and have every intention of dedicating the time needed to learn the system.

Thanks everyone for your help.
    Old 06-01-2010, 02:17 PM

you are very welcome:) I approached learning the program like it was an online class. I scheduled times for myself to sit down and bring up the program and walk through the lessons. I had to do 1-4 about 5 times for it to stick in my head but that's because I was used to Quiltsoft 6.0. My advice is to not give up on it, it's a wonderful tool and well worth the expense of money and time. Give yourself an opportunuity to grasp the basics and I guarantee you will fall in love with it :)
    Old 06-01-2010, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
    I am so on the fence with you. I feel like such a dummy-I've tried EQ6 since Christmas and still can't "get it". I do better with graph paper and a pencil. I'm up to Lesson 3 in the book and have to keep going back over it.
    Well, after reading what I just typed, I think I talked myself out of the upgrade. Maybe. Now I feel dumber cause I can't make a decision LOL!!
    I had the same problem and stuck the thing up on my bookshelf. Later, I got it down and decided that there was no reason I couldn't do it. Then I followed the book page for page and it all began to make sense. Some things just take a little more time to learn and a little more patience on our part. Good Luck !!!!!!
    Old 06-01-2010, 06:23 PM

I just installed EQ7 upgrade. It is awesome! Had great fun playing around.
    Old 06-01-2010, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by grammypatty7
    Originally Posted by elizabeth
    the thing that helped me the most on working through the lessons was getting the book spiral bound so it would lie flat!!
    I did order the upgrade and will have that spiral bound also. I do this to all books I need to work out of. It saves time and frustration.
    What a good idea. Where did you go to have that done. This book does not like to lie flat and I have clips all over the place holding it open. Thank you for a great tip.
    Wow! We have one near us. I didn't realize that they could do that from a book or that reasonably. I'll wait until EQ7 arrives and have it done. Thank you so much for the suggestion and information. I also have a couple of cookbooks that could use it as I'm hard on them; of course they are about 50 years old now and favorites so that could be a factor. LOL
    Old 06-01-2010, 07:40 PM

Thank you for your confidence. I do create EQ designs constantly. In fact I design all my quilts on EQ now before I make them. I have made almost 70 quilts since I started in 1981. I usually print out rotary cutting directions on each quilt and check out yardage requirements. It sure makes quiltmaking "less disappointing" as I can see the result before I shop.
    All my quilts are 100" square for my queen sleigh bed with a (newer) thick mattress. Eventually I see them as my legacy or inheritance for my siblings and their children. They will fit either queen or king beds.
    Here are three designs.
    "Clearly you have made your point" is a new design that had so many points that I had to name it based on them.
    "Green Tree of Life" was inspired by an antique quilt I saw at a local quilt show.
    "My Bee and Me" was an EQ drawing of a quilt I have since completed. It was my entry for our bee's group project for Northwest Suburban Quilt Guild's quilt show about 10 years ago. Each of us gave the other members two strips (3" x 44") of fabric. The fabrics were to represent a "brown" beehive and a light background. Our goal was to sew the beehive blocks, set them as we chose and get it done for the quilt show. Since all my quilts are 100" square, I had to "expand" my 16 quilt blocks out. The garden maze setting is wonderful for that. I chose the green to represent a grassy field filled with beehives. Each bee member signed her finished block. I love to sleep under this quilt as the grass color reminds me of spring.

"Clearly you've made your point" (oops, can you find the mistake?)
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]77181[/ATTACH]

"Green Tree of Life"
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]77182[/ATTACH]

"My Bee and Me"
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]77183[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-77176.bmp   attachment-77177.jpe   attachment-77178.jpe  
    Old 06-01-2010, 07:43 PM

I hope mine arrives soon. This is exciting!
    Old 06-01-2010, 07:44 PM

Smart idea! Thank you.