Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Used Janome Artistic Quilter SD-18 >
  • Used Janome Artistic Quilter SD-18

• Used Janome Artistic Quilter SD-18

Old 04-26-2020, 06:22 PM

Default Used Janome Artistic Quilter SD-18

Have an opportunity to purchase one for about $1,600. Anyone have an opinion about these?
    Old 04-26-2020, 06:42 PM
    mkc

It's a rebadged Tin Lizzie sitdown. Not sure of the support for it since the original Tin Lizzie is gone (there is a new company, Locksmith Lizzie, but I don't know if they support the old machines), but it's a fairly simple machine. That's a very good price for it.
    Old 04-26-2020, 06:59 PM

The reason I'm thinking of jumping on it is because it's at a local store so I know it's had a service, etc. I have no interest in anything with lots of bells and whistles, though I do understand one can get a ruler foot for this and it can be upgraded. The large sit down table is of interest because I could place it in the middle of a room open, and utilize that space for my sewing machine and serger, and move them if I quilt something large. I'm thinking for that price, I don't have much to lose.
    Old 04-26-2020, 07:14 PM
    mkc

I've tested one and liked it a lot - it's quieter than many. Since it's at a local shop, it sounds like you have a dealer close by that could service it if needed.

The price is much better than anything I've seen on FB marketplace (currently there's one for $2500 and another for $2900).
    Old 04-26-2020, 07:44 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by mkc
    I've tested one and liked it a lot - it's quieter than many. Since it's at a local shop, it sounds like you have a dealer close by that could service it if needed.

The price is much better than anything I've seen on FB marketplace (currently there's one for $2500 and another for $2900).
    Thank you - this is good to hear. The only issues I've seen are tension issues and people who switched to pre-wound magna glide bobbins and used glide thread have had great success. That's very do-able. I'm not an avid quilter, do don't want anything very expensive or really large in terms of a huge frame, etc. I hear it's very weighty which will be interesting - around 50 lbs or so. Wonder how that would work in an upstairs room? Perhaps this beast will go in the basement