Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles >
  • Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles

• Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles

Old 04-07-2013, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by happyquiltmom
    1. Any ruler that is not a Creative Grids ruler. These are amazing! I threw my old Olipfa ruler (with the lip that is to be used on the edge of a mat) away several years ago...I didn't want to curse someone else with that thing! The "lip" was not glued on straight, and so it was impossible to get a straight cut.

2. Fons & Porter quilting gloves, with the rubber dots. Threads stick to them, so you MUST take them off before trimming threads off your quilt. I use Machingers now, the Fons & Porters are in the drawer.
    I love the Fons & Porter gloves, but then I cut the fingertips out so I can change needles or whatever without issue.
    Old 04-07-2013, 06:21 PM

Yep, I love my side winder also. Use it ALL the time. I use my HFT's all the time. What about the binding tool? I don't needed, I consider that to be useless gadget, but that is me.
    Old 04-07-2013, 07:35 PM

Question Little Foot

Originally Posted by IBQLTN
    See now that's funny. I bought little foot papers for paper piecing and so I HATE the way paper piecing is done now! With Little Foot you sew with the lines on top ... no upside down sewing. Haven't made the lone star one though. Loved it for Pineapple Log Cabin, and especially loved it for snail's trail ... won a Best of Show on that one!
    Do you know if this company still exists? Bought a pattern that uses this style of paper piecing and would know more.
    Old 04-07-2013, 07:40 PM

I don't use my binding tool either. Last week I bought a green Dritz needle threader where you drop the needle in the hole, push a button and the needle comes out threaded but mine will not thread a needle. I should have bought a Clover, but our Hancocks doesn't carry it. The Fons and Porter easy thread needle eyes didn't work too well for my hand quilting as the head was too large to pull through the fabric without plyers and left a hole. And I've bought many of the same useless gadgets many of you have. I would love to find a rotary blade sharpener that really worked. I've enjoyed reading everyone of your comments as they are very helpful. Thanks to the OP for starting the thread.

Last edited by jeanharville; 04-07-2013 at 07:44 PM.
    Old 04-07-2013, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S
    Tammi, try dry board erasers. Here is the thread I posted about them. http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...p-t216340.html

Ditto about vintage sewing machines.
    Holy cow I was typo girl last night! Thanks Caroline, I saw the post about the dry erase erasers, but believe it or not, I can't find them here. There are crappy wipes, and really skinny erasers, but none of the office supply places I wandered into had them, or Wal-Mart. That makes a perfect trifecta of items. Shout Color catchers are no longer sold in Canada (and I can't find the Dr Beckmans, or the Oxi-clean version), I will have to make my own, and I can't find the Teflon Oven liners anywhere either. *sigh*

I did use part of one of those foam anti-fatigue mats and cut them to the shape of the "Grip and Stitch" grips, but I kept running into the needle clamp and getting hit by it. I went back to my gloves, but I'd sure like an alternative. Gloves make me a little crazy (er)
    Old 04-07-2013, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by jeanharville
    Last week I bought a green Dritz needle threader where you drop the needle in the hole, push a button and the needle comes out threaded but mine will not thread a needle.
    If your threader is anything like the one I have here (it was my grandma's, and she bought it when I was a pre-teen), sometimes the needle doesn't "fall" in the right direction, so you're trying to thread it through the side, rather than the eye. It might be worth just turning the needle a little by hand and trying again. You may have to repeat that a couple of times. There's probably a limitation on the size of the eye it can thread through too. I don't have the instructions anymore, but I remember threading a lot of needles for grandma, with and without the "gizmo".

If it's the one I think it is, you drop the needle in, eye downward, lay the thread in place, and there's a little flat "blade" that pushes the thread through the eye of a hand needle, correct?
    Old 04-07-2013, 08:51 PM

You are quite welcome Jean....I am always eager to find out ways for us to share our triumphs & mistakes...
    Old 04-07-2013, 08:54 PM

How true Grannie's words were. We never listen until we shell out money & then realize, "why in the world didn't we listen?"....
    Old 04-08-2013, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by cstout
    I stand corrected on condeming the Dritz brand just because the Dritz items I used were inferior. Thanks for reminding us that it is judge an entire bag of apples by one bad apple in there.

As for the spinning cutting mat, I have never used it...just sitting there reminding me of how I just thought I had to have it because it would make my cutting jobs so much easier. Ha! My big old cutting mat & rotary cutter on my dining room table allows me to move around to all sides to get cut whatever angle I need to cut. I have kicked myself for yet another "mistake".
    I have always wondered about the spinning cutting mat, My answer to that one is put a smaller cutting mat over top of the large one, when I need to turn it, I rotate the smaller mat. I wondered if I would use it. It is pricey. Thanks.
    Old 04-08-2013, 03:46 AM

While at a quilt show a few years ago, there was a booth set up. The fellow was showing how to make the seams, as in a windmill block where all of the seams meet up at the centre, resulting lots of bulk, less bulky. He was selling a hammer, that he used to whack the centre of the block. I could not see spending money on one, when I went home I did some looking through the hammers around here, found one. Now, when I have a bulky seam, I give a whack to the centre bulk, iron it and it is flatter. The tool with a case was over 20.00 at the time, not sure if they are still out there, have not been to a quilt show lately. I should mention I do this on my carpet floor in the basement, if I have a good number to do, I go get my cutting board, but always do it on the floor. It does help with bulk.