Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Using broadcloth >
  • Using broadcloth

• Using broadcloth

Old 01-15-2014, 12:59 PM

Most quilters cottons can be classified as broadcloth. That being said not all broadcloth is equal.

As for the blend ... I think it would depend on a number of things ... how high of a poly content? Does that fabric pill? Will it behave( actually crease and not melt) in the pressing process if matched with 100 percent cotton. Will it look notably thinner or thicker next to the other fabrics in the quilt? Back in the day , when I first started quilting ( pre - invention of the rotary cutter) , 100 percent cottons were not easy to find , and many many a quilt was made with blends. "back in the day" we liked them because they did not shrink, did not wrinkle like 100 percent cotton. Even sheets had poly in them as to reduce the wrinkling. If it preforms well in the wash ... but the merging/ironing in the piecing process is a problem... consider using it for a backing.
    Old 01-15-2014, 01:42 PM

Quilting cotton IS broadcloth.
    Old 01-15-2014, 02:03 PM
    Power Poster

you don't mention if your broadcloth is cotton or a blend- seem some are 'assuming' it's a blend. I use cotton broadcloth in quilting all the time. if it's a poly blend it would still be ok to use -- holds up well- great for kids quilts that may be dragged around- laundered a lot. around here most of the solids we find are broadcloth- they are 100% cotton and work great in quilting projects. my 'Connecticut quilts' I have pics here on the board of {white, appliqued} have mostly broadcloth solids.
    Old 01-15-2014, 06:02 PM
    Power Poster

Polyesters and cotton fade differently. You can certainly mix them in a quilt. Just be aware that down the line (could be years later) the polyesters will retain their color whereas the cottons will fade. Most vintage quilts are all cotton, and the fabrics gently fade together so the result is a very soft overall look. One that has polyester in it will have patches of the original, bright colors.

I think the meaning of "broadcloth" may have changed over the years. When I look at colored solids for quilts (Moda Bella and Kona), they all seem to say they are "broadcloth". The white and off-white solids usually don't say they are broadcloth, and none of the print cotton fabrics say they are broadcloth either. I have Kona solid-colored navy and black on hand, both of which are "broadcloth" in their online descriptions, and they have a much meatier hand than my regular quilting cottons. My Kona snow, on the other hand, seems to be simply a high quality muslin. The Moda Bella solids I have gotten seem to have a hand similar to my other quilting cottons, but I think they are also described as "broadcloth". Very confusing.
    Old 01-15-2014, 06:49 PM

The end of the bolt says it is 100% cotton but it feels heavier than the regular cotton that I buy for piecing. I bought this bolt about 15 or so years ago. I guess it is more like the Kona cotton I had gotten for a quilt I made last year. Guess I will hold on to it then and use it. Thanks for all the replies. I just love this forum. Spend too much time here some days. Seldom post though.