Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • using a panel and titanium needles >
  • using a panel and titanium needles

• using a panel and titanium needles

Old 05-30-2016, 05:42 AM

There is just one problem with some panels, they are longer than wider, so if you add borders the same size to the width and length your quilt will not be square. Usually a quilt is longer than wider but not overly long. I find myself adding more width to a panel than length to even out the dimensions of the quilt.
    Old 05-30-2016, 05:54 AM

I do numerous panels for charity quilts, but it depends on how the panel is laid out, and the shape. Here are a couple to give you ideas.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]551189[/ATTACH]
    On this one I added black sashing, then cut the blocks "wonky" so that you wouldn't notice that the panel squares weren't square or the same size.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]551190[/ATTACH]
    On this one I sashed in a narrow black and used the blocks as part of an overall design, devised by a friend.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]551191[/ATTACH]
    This one was sashed in brown...............See a pattern here? Not all panels are printed square or straight and sashing "hides" a multitude of sins.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]551193[/ATTACH]This one was used as a whole panel and I added two borders.
    Your panels may be different, so see if the manufacturer has a free pattern on their website for more ideas.
    Attached Thumbnails j-cs-baby-quilt-front.jpg   dscf4986.jpg   dscf4452.jpg   dscf4831.jpg  

Last edited by EmiliasNana; 05-30-2016 at 06:04 AM. Reason: add pics
    Old 05-30-2016, 07:55 AM

great ideas here.
    Old 05-30-2016, 09:07 AM

If you go to Superior Threads website and read about needles you will likely be amazed. Unless you know a lot about needles that is but it sounds like you would be interested in learning a little more about needled. Bob, owner of Superior and needle expert, lectures all over the country about thread and needles. According to the expert, the only needles he uses are the titanium coated top-stitch. According to Bob all we need is 4 needles: Titanium coated 70/10, 80/12, 90/14 and 100/16. Watch their short video to determine which needle to use for which application. Good luck and happy quilting.
    Old 05-30-2016, 09:26 AM

When I use a panel, I like to frame it with 4 or 5 borders of complementary fabrics. With the right fabrics, it seems to come out right.
    Old 05-30-2016, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by delores41
    I just bought a panel and do not know what to add with it. If someone has made a quilt using a panel will you please post it. Also have any one used titanium needles and do you like them, why?
    I use the Superior titanium top stitch needles for quilting. The eye of the needle is longer/bigger and the needle stays sharp longer. These panels were sewn using a Bernina 930. I FMQ them with outlining the figures and meandering/stippling. I was having so much fun quilting them, its a good way to practice FMQ.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/391684...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/391684...posted-public/
    Sharon in TX

Last edited by purplefiend; 05-30-2016 at 09:17 PM. Reason: added text
    Old 05-31-2016, 01:50 AM

Describe "panel". It could be blocks of images or one large print. I tend to think of a "large print" when describing a panel. All great suggesetions so far. Always head to the manufacturer website for ideas. Depending on the image...I love to make attic windows with panels. Panels are typically anywhere from 24" wide up to 36" wide. Some can be huge! Selvedge to selvedge is 42". (Approx) I love to work with panels! Fun and done!

Pls Post a picture of your panel.
    sandy