Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • using pellon gird paper >
  • using pellon gird paper

• using pellon gird paper

Old 01-12-2012, 07:15 AM

Default using pellon gird paper

It is my turn to vent. I am making a quilt called "and you point is" that uses the pellon quilters grid paper. I am having a terrible time getting the fabric to stay stuck on the paper especially the sashing. I thought I had it stuck down good but as I am sewing the sashing keeps coming up and I have to pin practually every peice. GERRRR! I had the same problem when I made this before but stupid me had to make another one (actually I already had the 5" square blocks cut ). I even called pellon to suggestions and tried them but to no avail. The 1st Quilt looks nice from far away when finished but iut is really a mess. Good thing they are both for me! If I ever make this quilt again (which I doubt) I will spray the paper with 505 to make sure all fabric sticks. I suspect that the problem is with the finish on the fabric but what to do. Suggestions?
    Old 01-12-2012, 07:27 AM

I had the same problem. Mine wouldn't stick at all so I used basting spray. It worked for me but I don't know if I'll try another one of those. Too much trouble.
    Old 01-12-2012, 07:55 AM
    Power Poster

are you using fusable gridded interfacing? i've used 2" square pellon gridded fusable for many projects and have never had these problems- in fact i've had the opposite problem- misplaced a square- and after fusing could not move it without tearing the interfacing a little-
    i spread out my interfacing- with the fusable (bumpy side) up on my ironing surface- place my fabrics- then press - about 10 seconds at a time over the whole thing with a hot dry iron- i do always make sure my fabrics are prepared for this- meaning pre-washed, dried without fabric softener- or any chemical additive---no starch/sizing- just washed to remove any additives or oils that may be on the fabrics- dried- pressed (using a water spritz if needed) cut and used. i've been using the gridded interfacing for 8 years and have had very good luck with it holding well while i stitched my seams. i haven't bought any in the past year- i hope they have not changed it somehow to not work as well- and glad a year ago i bought a bolt- so i have plenty to get my by for awhile.
    Old 01-12-2012, 08:17 AM
    Power Poster

ckcowl, this was my first thought, too. there are additives in the fabric that can cause adherence problems as well as with washed and starched fabrics.
    Old 01-12-2012, 08:24 AM

I have used lots of the quilters grid , the one with blue printed grid does not have any fusible, only the yellow printed grid is fusible. I use steam when using the fusible grid. I find it works much better than without. As mentioned , strached fabric will not adhere as well to the fusible.
    I do feel your pain , when a project does not progress as the tools that should enhance or ease the work now become the problem to overcome... it is enourmously frustrating.