Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Using Pre-cut fabric >
  • Using Pre-cut fabric

• Using Pre-cut fabric

Old 04-02-2014, 06:04 PM

The only pre cuts I ever buy are from Connecting Threads -- great fabrics, and you pay nothing extra over the regular per yard price. I won't buy any pre cuts from any where else as its too spendy. Beyond that, I make my own from my scraps....I'll never live long enough to use all of it up.
    Old 04-02-2014, 06:07 PM

I buy lots of pre cuts because I make lots of quick quilts that call for 5" or 10" squares or 2 1/2" strips. Pre cuts save me time in that I don't spend hours in the LQS trying to find fabrics that go well together. I know that pre cuts are more expensive; but I do get most of mine on sale. Once or twice, I have had a layer cake that was not cut perfectly and I had one jelly roll that was poorly cut; but I have been extremely happy with every charm pack I have ever used. I have never had a problem with pre cuts from brands like Moda and Robert Kaufman. To me, the time saved and the variety of fabrics that go well together is worth the additional expense.
    Old 04-02-2014, 08:10 PM

I use a lot of precuts and sometimes I just cut 1/2 yards into precuts. Rarely do I pay full price for them (unless I'm dying for a collection). There are a couple of sellers on Etsy that sell some below list, then sales and daily deals.
    Old 04-02-2014, 08:39 PM

I enjoy pre-cuts and they are very comparable pricewise.

A layer cake here is $48 and fabric on the bolt is $19/metre, a layer cake would roughly be 2.5 metres so it works out the same and with the pre-cuts I get a variety.
    Old 04-02-2014, 09:24 PM
    Power Poster

I quit buying precuts because there are always a number of them that I don't care for and pull out. Fabric yardage is much cheaper and you get only what you want.
    Old 04-03-2014, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
    Most places charge extra for the pre-cuts. Connecting Threads is the exception - no price difference. I very seldom buy any for various reasons, including lack of consistent size, preference for washing fabrics before sewing, and preference for assembling my own fabrics.
    I am with Dunster. When I first started quilting I bought 5" charm packs for the matched variety of fabrics as I was very unsure of how to pick fabrics and had no stash. But now I never use them and find selecting the fabrics half the fun of making a quilt. Plus the style of quilts I make now are not designed for precuts.
    Old 04-03-2014, 04:07 AM

I love precuts for gifts. The variety of fabric and ease of sewing is the main reason. If you haven't looked at the Missouri Star site for the tutorials, they use lots of precuts. When I purchse them, I always choose yardage for the back,binding and a neutral to calm down the prints. Then my shopping is quick and easy. No debates about what coordinates. I have had only one fail me. It was a Moda that I loved the colors but when it was sewn up, it was really ugly.
    Old 04-03-2014, 04:28 AM

I bought my first precut deal from Keepsake last year. I needed more variety for a scrappy quilt and didn't want to travel out of my area. Need to say that I visited every LQS locally and wanted even more different prints. Was happy with what I received.
    Old 04-03-2014, 04:38 AM

I've only bought them on sale. But after buying several I realized I hate the pinked edges so I don't buy them anymore. The first jelly roll I ever bought was from moda and didn't have pinked edges.
    Old 04-03-2014, 04:59 AM

I do not usually purchase precuts. I have shied away from them because of the costs and others complaining about miscuts. Recently I found two Amy Butler jelly rolls on a 50% off sale and really liked them. Cut straight, usable and quilt came out great. Needed to do a wedding quilt in grays and since I had sucess with the Amy Butler strips, I ordered three jelly roll sets from Keepsake which were cut in house. Several of the fabrics were not cut straight (when opened up - the top edge at the fold was 3/4 to one inch above the selvage edges) and for what I was doing were unusable. Keepsake was great to deal with and did replace them but it put me back a few weeks to get the second delivery. To much of a hassle, so I will not be doing that again any time soon. I would rather cut my own. I at least know they will be cut properly and it will be cheaper.