Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Using spray starch >
  • Using spray starch

• Using spray starch

Old 11-18-2015, 07:03 PM
    Power Poster

I get my regular spray starch at Walmart. The key is to let the starch absorb into the fabric before you hit it with the iron. Sometimes I use my home-made Best Press variation (with Vodka, water, and lavender essential oil).
    Old 11-18-2015, 10:45 PM

I
    Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter
    I use both Sta-flo starch and Best Press but for different reasons.

Starch will give a firmer body to the fabric and I use that when doing pieces that have a bias edge and Seminole patchwork. I mix my own at 50/50 starch and water and put it in a spray bottle. I spray the fabric and then roll it up and let it mellow in a plastic bag for a while so the starch is absorbed into the fibers. This is important and I try to not be too impatient about it. I have a plastic dishpan that I spray into to contain some of the over spray. When I press I have a piece of muslin over my ironing board to save my pretty cover. If some gets on my iron (not usually the case with this method) then I clean the sole plate of my iron with Magic Erasure (cold iron, wet erasure).

I use Best Press when I want some extra body and crispness to a block when I'm pressing the block. It gives a lighter touch to the fabric than starch.

I found the best spray bottles are the ones used by hair dressers as they give a fine mist. I got mine at Sally's Beauty Supply. They are not very expensive. If you don't have a Sally's in your area ask your hairdresser where she gets her supplies.
    I too buy my spray bottles a at Sally's they are the best I have found to not clog up or break at the trigger and have a continuous mist.
    Old 11-18-2015, 11:26 PM

I would try Mary Ellen's Best Press.
    Old 11-19-2015, 04:43 AM

Walmart "Faultless Heavy Spray Starch .97"...I buy 4 cans every time I go. After yrs of not starching I discovered that my seams come out perfect every time no distortion in the fabric. I starch the entire piece of yardage, let it sit for 10 mins. recommended by quilting teachers, so it soaks in and then iron with no iron issues.
    Highly stress to starch before cutting yardage because I found it shrinks your fabric...Found that out the hard way when I did a kaleidoscope quilt and starched each piece after I cut...UGH...can lose up to 1/8 to 1/4 off blocks.
    Old 11-21-2015, 12:22 AM

I use "Best Press" by Mary Ellen. It's especially good for keeping fabric from stretching with working with bias.
    Old 11-21-2015, 04:15 PM

I like Jeannie's answer, wait a minute until it soaks in, however, if you are in a hurry like me, just get her done. The white flakes do brush off. lol I think starching make it easier to cut, sew, size up, neater looking.
    Old 11-21-2015, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S
    I think one of the secrets to using spray starch is to spray your fabric and let it sit a few minutes to soak into the fabric fibers before pressing. If you press right after spraying you iron off the starch, get lots of white flakes and some residue on your iron.
    I agree. This is the method that works best for me. I used to iron all my husband's dress shirts and that was when I learned to do it this way.
    Old 11-22-2015, 06:24 AM

Thank you everyone for your thoughts.

I found out quite quickly that it is not easy to buy spray starch in Canada. I looked in a number of places.

I was able to find Mary Ellen's Best Press. I will give it a go on my One Block Wonder repeats today so that I can get going on that quilt since it is a Christmas present.

Thanks again,

Lynda
    Old 11-24-2015, 12:22 PM

I love starch. I use it to "glue" layers of fabric together when I need to cut multiple units. Get the fabric thoroughly saturated with starch, layer it and iron in between layers, your fabric pieces will stick to each other as if glued. It preshrinks your fabric and I've successfully cut half square triangle and other biasy shapes out of as many as 8 layers at a time with my 60mm rotary cutter without any distortion. Saves a lot of time and you end up with nice stiff fabric which I think makes piecing easier as well.

I haven't been able to find either the liquid or the powdered starch for a while, so have been using either Niagara heavy or Faultless heavy starch in the spray cans.

Rob
    Old 11-24-2015, 06:22 PM

Used Mary Ellen's Best Press for the first time today. How have I been quilting for 12 years without using this stuff?

Thanks everyone.