Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Using wedding gown to make a quilt >
  • Using wedding gown to make a quilt

• Using wedding gown to make a quilt

Old 12-21-2010, 09:52 PM

I never had a wedding gown but I'm so big that my tiny skinny daughter could have worn it wrapped a few times if I had had one. What was your color of compliment??? maybe if you used that as a background and put the lacy parts on the corners and got the ideas flowing from that. I saw one with the long row of buttons on the sleeves, she opened the sleeve and made a design with them. It was so pretty. You need something to make it show up. Even a background of satin, as it ages it does turn a bit. I used a baby christening dress once to make a pillow for a new mom. I liked the effect of white on white, I wonder what it looks like nowdays. that was thirty years ago when we were stationed overseas. If you make something, let us see it please. I'm going to book mark ya. Blessings and Merry Christmas, Ruth
    Old 12-22-2010, 01:59 AM

I had a girl friend that made one.. she cut the main blocks from the plain stain and then used the embellished lace on the corners and centers.... it turne dout beautiful!!!!!ought her dress at goodwill for #50 bucks!
    Old 12-22-2010, 03:13 AM

i know a lady in her 80's who through the years made all the family wedding dresses. That included her own daughters, then her granddaughters. Now she is using some of her daughter's wedding dresses to make 1st Communion dresses for their granddaughters (her great granddaughters). It has become a family tradition and Grandma is still doing beautiful work using the Viking her husband bought her for a wedding gift more than 60 years ago.

June
    Old 12-22-2010, 07:25 AM

About 3 years ago at the quilt show in Sister's OR there was a display of more than a dozen such quilts, very inspiring. Sorry no pictures to share. I remember some were crazy quilt styles but I think some may have even been used in a more of an abstract landscape style. Or maybe that is my own fantasy. Perhaps the fabric and designs will speak to you and you can incorporate some special meaning from your life into it. I think it would be a very special project to work on.
    Old 12-22-2010, 07:47 AM

Today is my 43rd anniversary and i still can't bear the idea of cutting the gown my mom made. (My 10-year-old granddaughter says she will be married in it! Time may change that!) However, I saw one gorgeous wedding gown quilt. It was fashioned in a crazy quilt style but the pieces were rather large and you got the idea of a dress,and veil, in the quilt. I would consider a crazy quilt, maybe with a wedding photo or two captured on fabric. Use all the bits of lace and trim you can. If you want color, consider your bridesmaid's colors. You might also make a "wedding cake" design with each layer made of elements of the dress--if that makes any sense. I large CQ heart would also be pretty.
    Old 12-22-2010, 11:35 AM

My Wedding gown disintegrated. I didn't store it right, just in an old suitcase. 40 years later just rubble!

I did take my niece's gown and make a christening gown. I took all the seams apart and laid the pattern pieces like - on- like. A sleeve on a sleeve, etc. The gown parts were cut in the right direction so the baby gown pieces were also in the right direction. All five of her boys wore it.
    Old 12-22-2010, 11:48 AM

I made my moms wedding dress into a baptismal gown that many grandchildren have worn. I took my wedding gown and made a tree top angel for our tree. I may take the extra fabric and make one for my children or maybe something for the grandchildren. Never have regretted using the fabric. Why have it packed away where no one can see it.
    Old 12-22-2010, 11:59 AM

This is a way of recycling and re-gifting to others. Just think how many generations will have the pleasure of wearing those dresses, and the story being told about how the fabric originated, being Great-Grandmother's wedding dress, or maybe even further back than that. Now we have made new traditions for our families. We cherish tradition!

When the family gathers around to decorate the Christmas tree, just think of the stories that will be told, from generation to generation. The angel on top or some of the decorations came from someone who used it 100 years ago. We have learned to use the things we have at hand and now are teaching the next generations to do the same. God bless you everyone!

June in Cincinnati
    Old 07-13-2013, 02:52 PM

Smile Wedding gown quilts or christening gowns

Originally Posted by quilter68
    My Wedding gown disintegrated. I didn't store it right, just in an old suitcase. 40 years later just rubble!

I did take my niece's gown and make a christening gown. I took all the seams apart and laid the pattern pieces like - on- like. A sleeve on a sleeve, etc. The gown parts were cut in the right direction so the baby gown pieces were also in the right direction. All five of her boys wore it.
    my wedding gown also disintegrated....mostly. I think enough of it is left to use some pieces. But, oh my How wonderful to make something that the whole family is a part of. I want to do this for my first great grandson due in October. Have asked my three daughters for parts of their gowns but they haven't responded yet. Will let you know if I decide to undertake such a project. I would love to have something handmade from my mothers, my gown, and the three daughters gowns that all of my "great grands" could use at some point. This is such an informative board. I can always find the answers I am looking for here! Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Helen6869; 07-13-2013 at 03:00 PM. Reason: typo