Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Vacuum bags - how small does quilt get? >
  • Vacuum bags - how small does quilt get?

• Vacuum bags - how small does quilt get?

Old 05-03-2018, 04:47 AM

A queen sized quilt took up about half of my carry on bag, in a space bag. The quilt looked fine the next day when I got it out. I wouldn’t say it was show ready, but it was fine as a gift. My quilts are meant to be used, not displayed.
    Old 05-03-2018, 05:36 AM

Use of plastic bags of any kind are not a good idea. Shipping is OK, with a note to tell the recipient to store in a cotton bag or pillowcase as soon as they receive it. Quilts need to breathe.
    Old 05-03-2018, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby
    I fit a large king with polyester batting and flannel backing into a large flat rate USPS box.

I used a heavy duty garbage bag, put the bag in the box and folded the quilt so I could get it into the box (it stuck way up) then used my vacuum and sucked the air out of the bag until it was sucked down so I could close the lid, then tied off the bag and taped the package shut.

Since I only needed to do this for shipping, I didn't need a bag that would hold the seal for a log time. And I also needed it to fit a specific size box. It made it to where it was going fine, and poofed right up after being removed.
    What a great idea! I may use this for other "material" items as well.
    Old 05-03-2018, 10:45 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry about the confusion on the name ... it didn't occur to me that vacuum bag more often means the bag inside your vacuum cleaner that collects all the dirt. "Now why would someone want to put their quilt in a vacuum bag?"

I was thinking about using one temporarily to ship a quilt, but in the end I don't think I'll save as much as the bag costs, and I don't think I'll put it to other uses, so I don't think I'll buy one. I might try Macybaby's solution of using a heavy duty garbage bag and a vacuum. I just need to get the air out for long enough to stuff it into a box.

Somehow I'm picturing the quilt going up the hose like in the cartoons when someone gets sucked into a vacuum.
    Old 05-03-2018, 11:09 AM

We didn't have much luck with the "space bags" either. I stored some Fiber-fil in one, we sucked out the air, wrapped it in a 30 gallon trash bag and taped it with packing tape all around the thing. It stayed that way, but would be a terrible mess for the poor person on the other end!!