Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Very BASIC embroidery machine questions. >
  • Very BASIC embroidery machine questions.

• Very BASIC embroidery machine questions.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:47 PM

Thank you. I had already bookmarked all brands, but I'm curious to see what they will have as well. I've never embroidered anything in my life. The dealer went back and forth between "this is a great machine for a beginner" and "you really need to buy the Amazing Box" and her's was 449.

YIKES! I told her first things first...hoops. I'm glad that the machine has a few built in designs. I'm going to post a wanted ad for the design cards once I figure out which kind they are and what design codes they have like PES or whatever. I couldn't get the dealer to answer my question about the size of cards or anything. But, she's just doing her job, dealers don't want you to buy something cheaper, especially somewhere else.

M
    Old 01-16-2009, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
    Thank you. I had already bookmarked all brands, but I'm curious to see what they will have as well. I've never embroidered anything in my life. The dealer went back and forth between "this is a great machine for a beginner" and "you really need to buy the Amazing Box" and her's was 449.

M
    yikes! the magic box is only $199 at allbrands (with free shipping).

http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp02932-0534.html

another option if your machine takes the brother cards is the PED-basic.
    i got the PED-basic, but kinda wish i would have gotten the magic box (it can convert files, PED-basic can't).

http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp01060.html

did she tell you what kind of hoop you need?

Old 01-16-2009, 01:33 PM

http://embroiderydesigns.com has a free conversion program, so you just load up the file you want to convert and it coverts it to almost any format you could want (but not those new vp3's)
    Old 01-16-2009, 03:08 PM

I was going to get the Ped-Basic too. It is on sale for $119.00 but it wasn't what I really wanted. The amazing box will let you do more things & I got a cd for free with 3700 designs. There is a lot of nice things on it to embroidery. I can't remember what the reason was I think that the Ped-basic won't do that much so I for sprang for the Amazing box max. Been gone all afternoon running errands so I just got back home so I'm fixing to down load the software for it. I'll let you guys know what happens.Deb
    Old 01-16-2009, 04:38 PM

Yes, she says that hoops are not interchangeable and I have to use a BabyLock on my machine, brother on a brother etc. There is a 4" sewing space, so there's a 4 in hoop and a larger 6 x 7 hoop that is multi-positional. I asked what magna hoops were and if I could use any other type of hoop and she was a bit evasive, but again, she's a dealer so she gets paid to have pro-Baby Lock opinions. The 4" is 71 and the bigger one is 77.

She said that Babylock cards were best, and didn't say if others were an option. I'm hoping to have a chance to either talk to a friend in this area, or see a post about whether or not my machine can take PES files or cards. Looks like cards, even at all brands, are rather expensive. My machine did come with a few built in designs, so I'm hoping to have a chance to experiment soon.

M
    Old 01-16-2009, 05:08 PM

I think all Babylock take PES cards. I haven't priced cards yet. Are they more expensive than the CDS. My machine will hook up to my computer and you are suppose to be able to download & save to it but so far I haven't figured it out yet. I have been trying to down load Max for last 2 hours & am having problems. I guess I'm going to have to uninstall & start over. The computer expert (dh) (I'm going to strangle him) started it & as usual didn't read the instructions so I can't get it to work right. I'm going to try and redo it. I sure hope this thing works or I'm out $200.00.
    Old 01-16-2009, 06:59 PM

Just my two cents regarding design cards...they are VERY expensive and most of the time there's only a few designs on each card you will actually use.

The Amazing Box or Vikant Ultimate Box are a much better investment as they allow you to buy designs from the large number of internet sites and ebay sellers that are now selling designs or download the many free designs available online. The designs sold online are usually much less expensive than the cards, and the variety is endless.

Through the box you write the designs to the blank card that comes with it, and then put that card in the slot on the side of your machine. The card can be erased and rewritten over and over whenever you want to change the designs.

Allbrands is likely to be less expensive than your dealer, I'd definitely look online for the hoops and a box. Check ebay as well, there's a lot of embroidery supplies available there.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:23 PM

Here's links to the hoops you want at a great price.

http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/BL-EF14.php

http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/BL-EF15.php
    Old 01-16-2009, 07:39 PM

Holy Cats!!

That's amazing. Thank you so much. I'm gonna get those suckers!
    Old 02-04-2009, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by twistedstitcher
    I just wanted to say a quick thanks for the site. My hubby looked at them and talked to my FIL. I got a package in the mail today. I thought that my MIL's 4 x 4 frame was found....I received a brand spanking new hoop from sewingmachineplus from my FIL. He felt really bad that I couldnt' do anything with the machine and a cord.

So, I have a TON of samples of different stabilizers now. I feel like I have a Secret Santa except I know who she is and it's February. I have to get appropriate bobbin thread, bobbins and a needle now. Still can't play yet, but hope too soon.

Fabricluvr....I received your package and thank you. Also, tried it and can't get it to work on my puter. I'll try it on a regular player I hve with the tv when I figure out how to use it. I am stubborn as a mule so says the hubby, so I'll get it figured out!!!