Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Very Disappointed in what I saw at a Quilt Show >
  • Very Disappointed in what I saw at a Quilt Show

• Very Disappointed in what I saw at a Quilt Show

Old 04-03-2011, 08:59 AM

Thank you for speaking up on behalf of all quilt makers! People who are not quilters simply don't realize everything that goes into making a quilt. The lady who was digging at the stitching sounds like she IS a quilter so shame on her. She obviously should know better!
    Old 04-03-2011, 09:21 AM

I'm with all of you on this one, here in our quilt shows, the quilts are roped off and you better not go under it or reach over and touch it, there are quilt police allover these quilts if you do. So i'm very surprised that this was allowed to happen, I wouldn't put my quilt in that show. I hope #47 wins something, it sure is a beautiful quilt. God Bless him
    Old 04-03-2011, 09:29 AM

Sounds like YOU had better take over as Chairperson for the Quilt Show!! Curious, where was this held?
    Rained here yesterday too: poured down, then sun, then pouring again...then sun. But eventually, the rain won. :(
    Old 04-03-2011, 09:59 AM

This is a very lovely quilt. It's amazing what people can do!!

I love to go to quilt shows, but I'm disappointed when I am not allowed to take pictures. It's too bad that this one didn't know what valuable pieces they were displaying. So glad that the 'black beauty' was not put outside in the rain :roll:
    Old 04-03-2011, 10:08 AM

Sounds as if the person who was doing this quilt show, had gone to the SISTERS QUILT SHOW in Sisters Oregon. And YES in Sisters (IN THE SUMMER!!!!), you can hang quilts outside. But over all in Oregon (this time of year), it is RAINING!!!!!! almost non stop. Also I have NEVER been to a quilt show that you could touch a quilt with your BARE HANDS!! This shows a lack of THOUGHT (or ANY thought), to the quilters, work, time and money put into these quilts. I have been to shows that have someone standing by most of the quilts on the floor or withing reach. These people are quilters and they make sure that if you are tring to touch a quilt you have GLOVES on and that NO ONE PULLS on it in ANY way. Second show or not, these people have NOT got a clue how to put on a show. I think I would get a hold of the people putting on the show, the business or hotel, etc it was at and let them know what you saw and how sad it made you. I would also let them know that unless BIG, BIG changes take place not only will you not go back to see the show (and SPEND MONEY), you will be sure to let others know too. Quilt shows make a LOT of money for areas - Hotel rooms, Resturants, Gas Stations, Venders, etc...... So this LACK OF UNDERSTANDING can be a LOSS of BIG MONEY for every one!!! Give them HELL!
    Old 04-03-2011, 10:12 AM

I have also been to a quilt show where they passed out disposable gloves. I think it is a great idea for a small group or guild that may not have enough "white glove" helpers. Another option that I saw recently, maybe not quite as good as the disposable gloves since it can interfere with seeing the whole design of the quilt (if there is some type of quilting or piecing design in the border), was folding a piece of paper on one edge of the quilt with the words, " Turn here" in order to see the backside of the quilt. It would probably be cheaper than buying the gloves.

I agree that I would not want to see someone's quilts left out in the rain. I wonder what they do in Sisters. I have seen photos of their quilt show and I would guess they would definitely gather them up before the rain, since they have had a lot of practice with outside quilt shows.

I can guarantee that if I was to enter into a quilt show...that would be one I would not ever do.

The only other quilt show I had gone to, there was a woman that was standing just inside the door that handed every person 2 disposable gloves to put on "just in case" we felt the need to touch a quilt. I thought that was a fantastic idea.[/quote]
    Old 04-03-2011, 10:17 AM
    Power Poster

I still think the quilt makers didn't make the quilts to be show quilts which are very different then regular quilts. A show quilt is made to be looked at not used. I know most quilts are made to be touched, pulled, crunched, washed, and used. I wouldn't get upset if anyone touched a quilt I made or if it got wet. It can be washed and dried. At show and tell many hands fondle the quilts all the time. The deliberate pulling of threads is awful and the woman should be banned from future shows.
    Old 04-03-2011, 10:40 AM

isn't there a quilt police? you should have taken pics of the mishandling of the quilts, or just told the people that this was not the way to treat peoples work. I hope they read the rules next time before someone sues them for mis handling their quilt.Don't you think.
    Old 04-03-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by caspharm
    I have also been to a quilt show where they passed out disposable gloves. I think it is a great idea for a small group or guild that may not have enough "white glove" helpers. Another option that I saw recently, maybe not quite as good as the disposable gloves since it can interfere with seeing the whole design of the quilt (if there is some type of quilting or piecing design in the border), was folding a piece of paper on one edge of the quilt with the words, " Turn here" in order to see the backside of the quilt. It would probably be cheaper than buying the gloves.

I agree that I would not want to see someone's quilts left out in the rain. I wonder what they do in Sisters. I have seen photos of their quilt show and I would guess they would definitely gather them up before the rain, since they have had a lot of practice with outside quilt shows.

I can guarantee that if I was to enter into a quilt show...that would be one I would not ever do.

The only other quilt show I had gone to, there was a woman that was standing just inside the door that handed every person 2 disposable gloves to put on "just in case" we felt the need to touch a quilt. I thought that was a fantastic idea.
    [/quote]

Just FYI: It has NEVER rained on the Sisters Quilt Show - which is always the 2nd Saturday in July. LUCKY for them! 8-)
    Old 04-03-2011, 11:22 AM

If I had seen someone handling those quilts hanging in that show I would have been beyond mortified at their lack of respect for a quilters work! I would guess that most people who attend quilt shows are quilters... wouldn't they KNOW NOT to do that???
    I too would love to know where this was located as I also live her in beautiful sunny central Oregon.