Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Very Disappointed in what I saw at a Quilt Show >
  • Very Disappointed in what I saw at a Quilt Show

• Very Disappointed in what I saw at a Quilt Show

Old 04-03-2011, 12:01 PM

We make quilts to go on beds, they've been slept under and quilts have lasted 100s of years being used and washed. I've been to shows and have been given gloves to wear if I wanted to touch the quilts. But, to me there's nothing wrong w/ touching/feeling the quilts. There is so much love put into the quilts as they are being made - touching them gives me a connection to the maker. As quilters we know to make sure our hands our clean and how to handle one respectfully.

Personally, I would not be upset at people touching my quilt - I would be upset if it was hanging in the rain, though.
    Old 04-03-2011, 12:33 PM

I can't believe that the people running the show let all those terrible things happen! I guess that's what happens when someone is not aggressively in charge and people don't know what they are doing. My big fat mouth would have been vocal as well.
    Old 04-03-2011, 12:44 PM

I feel for those who got wet quilts! Many years ago, and on the east edge of USA ..I entered a complicated pictorial quilt in a show. Somebody liked it so much it was hung on a kind of large showboard outside the entrance. The showboard blew over, and the quilt went flat into some mud puddles.
    When I, my sister and kin folks arrived no quilt to be seen!
    I asked, and was told it was in the kitchen. I finally found it, showed it to my relatives who were quite puzzled by the who thing, rinsed the mud off, left it to dry spread out, because the rules would not let them release it.
    Yes, dear hearts, it washed just fine in the washing machine when I got it back, and dried in the drier to look like new, although it had dimensional pieces on it. J
    Old 04-03-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Divokittysmom
    If I had seen someone handling those quilts hanging in that show I would have been beyond mortified at their lack of respect for a quilters work! I would guess that most people who attend quilt shows are quilters... wouldn't they KNOW NOT to do that???
    I too would love to know where this was located as I also live her in beautiful sunny central Oregon.
    It was in Wolf Creek, Oregon
    Old 04-03-2011, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by FranCFries
    Sounds as if the person who was doing this quilt show, had gone to the SISTERS QUILT SHOW in Sisters Oregon. And YES in Sisters (IN THE SUMMER!!!!), you can hang quilts outside. But over all in Oregon (this time of year), it is RAINING!!!!!! almost non stop. Also I have NEVER been to a quilt show that you could touch a quilt with your BARE HANDS!! This shows a lack of THOUGHT (or ANY thought), to the quilters, work, time and money put into these quilts. I have been to shows that have someone standing by most of the quilts on the floor or withing reach. These people are quilters and they make sure that if you are tring to touch a quilt you have GLOVES on and that NO ONE PULLS on it in ANY way. Second show or not, these people have NOT got a clue how to put on a show. I think I would get a hold of the people putting on the show, the business or hotel, etc it was at and let them know what you saw and how sad it made you. I would also let them know that unless BIG, BIG changes take place not only will you not go back to see the show (and SPEND MONEY), you will be sure to let others know too. Quilt shows make a LOT of money for areas - Hotel rooms, Resturants, Gas Stations, Venders, etc...... So this LACK OF UNDERSTANDING can be a LOSS of BIG MONEY for every one!!! Give them HELL!
    They actually did NOT HAVE anyone selling ANYTHING. I was shocked because that was the main reason I went to it. The quilts were hung on the hall way walls that were fairly dark so you really couldnt see them in good lighting, and the halls were really narrow and large people would be brushing up against the quilts as they walked by. I think they could have had it at a different place, even at the schools library. But oh well. If they do it next year, I am not going to it.
    Old 04-03-2011, 01:29 PM

Black Beauty is very stricking, hope it wins. Also, shows what handicaps some people overcome and adapt. I would be so upset if my quilt was left hanging in the rain, how awful. I have attended so many wonderful shows, from the huge, to the small and I know how much we look forward to these shows. Sorry this one was so mismanaged.
    Old 04-03-2011, 01:31 PM

I know quilts are made to be touched, but by the people who own them. As a matter of respect you should not be handling someone elses quilt when it is on display. You see with your eyes, not with your hands.
    You wouldn't think of caressing works of art in a museum, no matter how tactile or sensual they look. I know every time I see beautiful wood working art, I want to run my hands over it, but I refrain.
    When we used to do craft fairs, we always had this problem. It's like a fur coat, people want to touch and go ooh and aah.
    Old 04-03-2011, 02:01 PM

I once entered several pieces in our County Fair, including a thread crocheted baby dress and as I stood there being checked in the girl that checked me in proceeded to throw the items on another table where several teenagers were eating fast food! I almost dropped through the floor! I asked for my items back and asked to speak to the person in charge and let her know what was going on! The gal behind me spoke up also and the kids were removed from their duties of checking in items and the manager assured us it would not happen again.I don't really blame the kids, they should have been made to realize how much work goes into our creations!
    Old 04-03-2011, 02:23 PM

I think we need to know the name of this Quilt show so none of us send our quilts to it. I certainly don't want one of my quilts mishandled!
    Old 04-03-2011, 04:32 PM

OMG - If anyone ever treated one of my quilts like that . . .

And thank you, from a fellow quilter, for standing up to the obnoxious woman who had the nerve to pick at a quilt.

I would spread the word near and far about the way this show was run. Let any and all nearby quilters know the score so that one of their precious works of art is not destroyed next year.