Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Very Disappointed in what I saw at a Quilt Show >
  • Very Disappointed in what I saw at a Quilt Show

• Very Disappointed in what I saw at a Quilt Show

Old 04-03-2011, 05:12 PM

It is surprising how people are so disrespectful of other peoples work. The organizers of this show have no idea on how to run a show. The Black Beauty quilt is gorgeous.
    Old 04-03-2011, 05:37 PM
    Power Poster

thats so sad. Glad you spoke up!
    Old 04-03-2011, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    Yay you for speaking up! I'm that way about healthy people parking in the handicapped zones, or those who park in fire lanes.

I really do hope that Black Beauty wins! That is an amazing feat for someone with limited vision. Yes, I would like to own that one too.
    I love the Black Beauty quilt too. Even if it was done by a sighted person it would be special.

About the handicapped parking thing. I have a handicapped person plate and placard but I have yet to park in a handicapped spot. I CAN walk, just not very far. I can usually find a non handicapped spot that is in "walking distance" for me. Leave the "spots" for those who only walk with pain.. Also the other day we saw a truck parked in a handicapped spot and it had handicapped plates on it, but it had these huge wheels/tires that put the cab of the truck way up in the air. I thought "If the person who owns that truck is able to climb in and out of that cab-in-the-air they can't be that handicapped." But I didn't actually see the person so I could be wrong.
    Old 04-03-2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Airwick156
    Originally Posted by ptquilts
    wow, can't believe they let folks handle the quilts like that - and left them out in the rain!! Bet a lot of quilters will not be entering next year.
    I can guarantee that if I was to enter into a quilt show...that would be one I would not ever do.

The only other quilt show I had gone to, there was a woman that was standing just inside the door that handed every person 2 disposable gloves to put on "just in case" we felt the need to touch a quilt. I thought that was a fantastic idea.
    The quilt guild here puts on a big show every Sept. and they hand out gloves at the entry door.
    Old 04-03-2011, 07:03 PM

I am shocked that quilts were treated this way :thumbdown: When we were in Tillamook a few weeks ago, my DH and I stopped at a quilt shop there (after I'd spent time at the air museum, he had to spend time at the quilt shop ;) ), where there were several quilts dispayed. There was a sign that said it was OK to handle the quilts. Well, I felt quilty anyway when I lifted one up to see the back and moved another to see the quilting design. I was very gentle, and didn't touch any others.
    Now I'm thinking I should bring my own white gloves with me when we travel so I will be prepared to touch if I want/need to do so.
    It would be interesting to know what the people who put on this show were thinking - or IF they were thinking :roll:
    Old 04-03-2011, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Granny Coy
    Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    Yay you for speaking up! I'm that way about healthy people parking in the handicapped zones, or those who park in fire lanes.

I really do hope that Black Beauty wins! That is an amazing feat for someone with limited vision. Yes, I would like to own that one too.
    I love the Black Beauty quilt too. Even if it was done by a sighted person it would be special.

About the handicapped parking thing. I have a handicapped person plate and placard but I have yet to park in a handicapped spot. I CAN walk, just not very far. I can usually find a non handicapped spot that is in "walking distance" for me. Leave the "spots" for those who only walk with pain.. Also the other day we saw a truck parked in a handicapped spot and it had handicapped plates on it, but it had these huge wheels/tires that put the cab of the truck way up in the air. I thought "If the person who owns that truck is able to climb in and out of that cab-in-the-air they can't be that handicapped." But I didn't actually see the person so I could be wrong.
    You are so wrong with the last statement. A handicap does not mean "unable to walk" or "in a wheelchair" -- it also means heart problems, breathing problems and other problems we may never know about. I, too have a handicap placard....and I don't look handicapped at all. I have had people question me about it when I've had to use it ---- I quietly inform them what I said above...without going into detail of why I'm handicapped.
    Old 04-04-2011, 06:05 AM

Wow I'm surprised that the quilts were in that condition and left out in the rain. I'm sure the owners were not happy. Every quilt show I've been to that really take care of them and you are not allowed to touch
    Old 04-04-2011, 07:26 AM

You know not everyone who attends a quilt show makes sure their hands are clean. All hands, even clean hands, leave oil behind and eventually can stain a quilt....especially if everyone is touching the quilt. Some people use hand lotion too.
    Old 04-04-2011, 10:12 AM

Beautiful quilt and I would have said something also. You did the proper thing!1

Hugs

Helen
    Old 04-06-2011, 01:00 PM

Good for you for speaking up ... I've done the same a few times at shows when I saw people touching and handling the quilts. I also got some tart replies from offenders - but others who said "thanks, we didn't know" ...
    I've been to large shows and lots of smaller ones, including a number held outdoors - but I've NEVER seen quilts left out in the RAIN! Sounds like the staff sure wasn't paying any attention. If those were MY quilts I'd be hoppin mad :(