Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Very Frustrated >
  • Very Frustrated

• Very Frustrated

Old 04-11-2013, 09:13 AM
    Power Poster

I think every quilter I know has had this problem at one time or another, I know I do. When I get frustrated with a quilt, I put it away for a bit, then work on something else. That clears my head, ramps down my frustration level and I sometimes get something else accomplished while I'm at it.
    Old 04-11-2013, 10:21 AM

((((Yael)))) I know how you feel! I found out if I go do something easier, or something I can finish quickly, I feel better and more confident. Then I'm more inclined to struggle with the difficult pieces.

Best of luck with your Mariner Star, you'll be happy with it when it's done!
    Old 04-11-2013, 10:54 AM

[QUOTE=yweinst;5992098]So I went to my LQS and they helped me out with what some of the issues. I am also going to take a private class on Sunday with an expert at the store and she is going to help me precision piece better and fix my mistakes. Thanks for the suggestion to find a quilting penpal...it's what gave me the idea to go to the LQS and ask for help.]

I am so glad you were able to get help. Let me just say that I have been quilting 9 or 10 years and don't think I will ever attempt a Mariner's Star. They are certainly beautiful, but too hard for me! I like easy and am not looking for a challenge. I do something I regret in every single quilt I make. My latest was pressing. I was taught you press to the dark whenever possible. I've got nine patch squares sewn to white squares and pressed each one back to the nine patch, because I thought you would really be able to see the dark seam allowance under the white block. This was very hard because of the bulk, but I kept going. After finishing piecing the top I looked over the instructions to see if there were quilting suggestions when I noticed the instruction to press toward the light. Geez! It sure would have been easier! I have since read that with today's fabrics the idea of pressing toward the dark in no longer so important. Anyway, my point is that even after all these years I don't think I've ever made a quilt that I didn't wish I had done something differently.
    Old 04-11-2013, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider
    FWIW:

My mother had quite a few sayings but she told me this one when I had a similar problem:

Man on horseback, running for his life, will never stop to notice a thing like that

If it's perfect, the devil's in it
    My mother used to say " A blind man on a galloping horse will never see it!"
    Old 04-11-2013, 12:28 PM

My UFO's are because I didn't know how to proceed (and some because I lost interest). I've learned to go onto another project and learn new things, then revisit my UFO's. One quilt took 5 years of starts and stops. It's a favorite now-all finished. I didn't get frustrated, just recognized I needed more info and relaxed into the process.

By the way, if you're a beginner, you'll learn with less frustration by picking the easy patterns, and joining a sew group. Many LQS have UFO or open sew days on their schedule. I never did take my own advise and always chose not one step beyond, but way beyond my abilities. I also give myself permission to never finish a quilt and donate it at guild exchange day.

Are we having fun yet?
    Old 04-11-2013, 04:03 PM

I am having a hard time just trying to sew...I just can't get into it...
    I am in such a slump .....makes me want to cry....
    Old 04-11-2013, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
    Step away from the project and do something else for a while. Then come back and it will be all clear.
    Agree with this, stepping away helps so much. Amazing really!
    Old 04-12-2013, 03:04 AM

I agree with Julie. We can only learn and improve from our mistakes.
    Originally Posted by JulieR
    Perfectionism makes for great quilts. It also makes for crazy quilters! You have to remember to let yourself off the hook - perfection is a journey, not an end. You'll improve with every project you do, and every mistake now makes you a better quilter later.

I believe I'll bookmark this post to remind myself that I said this when I get frustrated, too.
    Old 04-12-2013, 05:14 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
    Step away from the project and do something else for a while. Then come back and it will be all clear.
    Excellent advice. I have done this many times with crocheting, cross stitch and other things.
    Old 04-12-2013, 09:53 PM

[QUOTE=BillieJean;5994355]I am having a hard time just trying to sew...I just can't get into it...
    I am in such a slump .....makes me want to cry....[/QUOTE]

From this last comment, maybe it's more serious than a little down. This almost sounds like depression. There's some information on this: http://www.webmd.com/depression/guid...toms-and-types