Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Very old wooden quilting frame ? >
  • Very old wooden quilting frame ?

• Very old wooden quilting frame ?

Old 04-25-2018, 06:42 PM
    Power Poster

I know it was meant to be hung from the ceiling when not in use.
    Old 04-26-2018, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting
    Thanks very much for all the great information. It is so helpful an d I know I can do this now.This frame is not like any I have seen before but the basic idea and method should be similar,
    I appreciate the help from everyone so much. Thanks again.
    That frame is different from mine. With mine and with other's frames we've been hearing about, the sticks are loose when the clamp is taken off. I have it sitting on four chairs with the table under it in the middle to hold the sag. I have denim strips stapled onto the sticks and pin the quilt back to that. Then I add the batt and then the top. I usually re-pin now to include all layers in the pins. My Amish friend just lays the batt and top onto the back and lightly pins those to the backing only.
    I just found out how to do this my myself. You lay a fifth stick (board) over the middle of the quilt and clamp that down at both ends. Now you can loosen the two corner clamps and roll. Then the corner clamps can be re-tightened so that everything is taut again. Center board can be removed when necessary.
    Old 04-26-2018, 01:42 PM

This is similar to the frame that we use at a friend's church. We sew muslin to the quilt top (so not to damage the top itself) and be sure that the muslin, backing, and batting are long enough to be thumb tacked (pound with a hammer) to the frame. Since you have leaders, you can simply pin the muslin with quilt top attached to the leaders.
    We use C clamps to hold our 2 x 4 boards together. When you roll, you need several people on the opposite side to pull so that you don't lose the tautness of the quilt. While quilting the quilt, you will have to stretch it at times....just need extra hands.
    IF that is not clear, you can always contact me---I can put you in touch with my friend (the one who loads the quilt onto the frame each time). She is great!!!

P.S. You were kind enough to send me some fabric when I was building up my stash....Hope to repay the favor!!!
    Old 04-26-2018, 05:31 PM

I might suggest that you attach canvas leaders on two opposite sides, with Snap Tape attached. Then I'd sew the other leader w/Snap Tape to the quilt. Much faster than pinning.
    Old 04-27-2018, 01:59 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by tuckyquilter
    I might suggest that you attach canvas leaders on two opposite sides, with Snap Tape attached. Then I'd sew the other leader w/Snap Tape to the quilt. Much faster than pinning.
    That is a neat idea. TFS