Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Very Very Loopy on the bottom side of fabric >
  • Very Very Loopy on the bottom side of fabric

• Very Very Loopy on the bottom side of fabric

Old 05-13-2011, 02:59 PM

Well, after rethreading the bobbin & the needle several times, cleaning the bobbin case, changing the needle...I'm doing a happy dance! I took the advise of running thread (I did the dollar bill, too...just in case) and then started changing the tension dial a little bit at a time & Woo-hoo, I'm back in business! So, tomorrow I'm going to finish the first baby quilt & baste the quilt sandwich for the next one. Thank you to all who gave me great advice. I've fallen in love with this little green 15-125 for all my FMQ and didn't want anything bad to be happening to it. So, thank you, thank you thank you!
    Old 05-13-2011, 06:24 PM

Debbie -

You're the second person I've seen recently post about a green Singer. I have a green Compac (Singer 15 clone) that I love, but the only green Singer I've ever seen is a 185. Would you mind posting a pic of your machine?

Thanks,

Darren
    Old 05-13-2011, 06:29 PM

Here's a picture. I bought it from a man on Craig's list a few months ago. He had bought a house to flip & lots of things were left inside...this being one of them. This picture was taken right after I got it home and that's why it's in my kitchen. I was cleaning it up.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-196670.jpe  
    Old 05-13-2011, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Debbie B
    Well, after rethreading the bobbin & the needle several times, cleaning the bobbin case, changing the needle...I'm doing a happy dance! I took the advise of running thread (I did the dollar bill, too...just in case) and then started changing the tension dial a little bit at a time & Woo-hoo, I'm back in business! So, tomorrow I'm going to finish the first baby quilt & baste the quilt sandwich for the next one. Thank you to all who gave me great advice. I've fallen in love with this little green 15-125 for all my FMQ and didn't want anything bad to be happening to it. So, thank you, thank you thank you!
    I hope you also gave the machine a nice drop of oil in all the places it needs to be. especially the bobbin area. love those old Singers. I have a green 319 that sews faster than I can
    keep me fabric going.
    Old 05-13-2011, 07:30 PM

Oh Debbie, I'm so glad you got your machine going again. I couldn't tell you anymore than the others but just wanted to say congradulations. Isn't this board a wonder? It seems no matter what the problem someone has an answer. I wish I had the money that they have saved everyone with their help.LOL
    Old 05-14-2011, 12:55 AM

I have been having the same problem with Opal my 1953 singer. I have just printed off all your cures and will trying them. This board is so good Thank you everyone
    Old 05-14-2011, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by cheezythequiltmaker
    remember when ever you change the tension dial you have to raise and lower the presser foot to ensure the new tension you have set is engaged.
    re threading the machine completely top and bottom fixes 99% of issues. Becks
    I was going to suggest the same thing. I am embarrassed to say how many years I was sewing & didn't know I should have my presser foot UP while threading through the tension discs, so the thread would seat well. I also didn't know where to adjust presser foot pressure.
    With some of my older machines, I am not certain if there is a top or bottom to the bobbins or if it is universal (works either way). But of course there is significance to the rotation of the winding of the bobbin & which way you put it into the casing. Did you take the bobbin casing out? I have gotten a thread tangled down underneath before, & barely visible.
    Best wishes with your machine.
    I think everyone's advice seems just right.
    Old 05-14-2011, 02:48 AM
    Power Poster

Loads of great advice! Check with your manual and make sure of the direction the thread goes through the needle. I've had it backwards and it made loops like that.
    Old 05-14-2011, 02:56 AM

Do you have more than one bobbin for this machine? If so, I suggest you change the bobbin. Sometimes, you can get this happening if the bobbin is a little warped or ill-fitting in the race. Hope you find the solution.
    Old 05-14-2011, 03:02 AM

One potentional problem is Tension too loose on top when threads are loopy under side. Second most common reason, Missing a loop in threading machine. I always take out thread and rethread, check tension and bobbin direction too as mentioned in other posts. My grandson has been known to secretly walk up to my machine and turn tension on me!