Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Vintage quilted hearts need ideas :0( >
  • Vintage quilted hearts need ideas :0(

• Vintage quilted hearts need ideas :0(

Old 03-19-2011, 01:27 PM

I purchased these vintage quilted applique hearts at a Quilt Show in their gift shop many years ago. They measure about 6.5 inches wide and 5 inches tall. I need advice for background to either put them in a large picture frame or wall hanging. Someone in my Bee suggested a cream Irish Chain background or a traditional block similiar to the Irish Chain. I am thinking of appliqueing the patchwork hearts on to a red heart so there would be maybe a 1/4 inch of red framing each heart block to define the heart on the background. Should I frame them in rows or arrange them in a circular? The background can't be busy I don't think because the patchwork heart is busy. I may be making too much of these hearts...but they are so old ....and cherish them even if I don't know the lady who made them. I love vintage things. So any ideas would be appreciated :roll:
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-171987.jpe   attachment-171988.jpe  
    Old 03-19-2011, 01:41 PM
    Power Poster

What a small piece of beautiful quilts. Anything you do with them would be wonderful. I think a table runner or wall hanging would really set them off. Red would make them come alive. Be sure to show us what you decide:)
    Old 03-19-2011, 01:46 PM
    Power Poster

They are so pretty! No idea either, I love vintage stuff though!
    Old 03-19-2011, 02:03 PM

Why not make them the cetre piece and then when have done this you can look at what would look best. I think Irish chain flowing out of the centre, picking up the colours in the hearts would look lovely.
    Old 03-19-2011, 02:06 PM

Depending upon how many you have: make a reg: heart quilt for a big center block, Arrange your special hearts around as a boarder, hand sewed on... Then a plain boarder around as not to take away the beauty of the little hearts. Hang on Wall. If you have six, on one side turn two hearts just a little and the center heart turn the other way, just a little... The new and the old in one quilt.... Have fun no matter what you chose. They are beautiful. :)
    Old 03-19-2011, 02:54 PM

You could get some acid free scrapbooking paper(at michaels) for the backgrounds. There are so many patterns out there.Then I went over to the fame dept and got these record album frames. I will have to take a pic next time I go north. They are hanging in a guest room.
    Old 03-19-2011, 03:06 PM

Thank you for all your suggestions! I really do appreciate your time in posting. I will definitely post a pick when I finish whatever I do with them. I think it will either be a small wall hanging or framed.
    Old 03-19-2011, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
    What a small piece of beautiful quilts. Anything you do with them would be wonderful. I think a table runner or wall hanging would really set them off. Red would make them come alive. Be sure to show us what you decide:)
    I didn't even think about a table runner :roll:
    Old 03-19-2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by BabyCakes
    You could get some acid free scrapbooking paper(at michaels) for the backgrounds. There are so many patterns out there.Then I went over to the fame dept and got these record album frames. I will have to take a pic next time I go north. They are hanging in a guest room.
    That is a different idea! I appreciate it! It would probably make my life a little easier....lol. I was born and raised in Wisconsin!
    Old 03-19-2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by cheryl rearick
    Depending upon how many you have: make a reg: heart quilt for a big center block, Arrange your special hearts around as a boarder, hand sewed on... Then a plain boarder around as not to take away the beauty of the little hearts. Hang on Wall. If you have six, on one side turn two hearts just a little and the center heart turn the other way, just a little... The new and the old in one quilt.... Have fun no matter what you chose. They are beautiful. :)
    Thank you! I will give it a try and see how that looks!