Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Vintage Sewing Machines >
  • Vintage Sewing Machines

• Vintage Sewing Machines

Old 07-20-2010, 03:48 AM

Hi, Go to the tutorial section of this board and look for the tutorials called Cleaning Your Vintage Machine. It's in 3 parts and it's excellent. Hope there are more subjects to come! Good luck!
    Old 07-20-2010, 04:47 AM
    Power Poster

I have a the white/celery Featherweight, a 301 and a 15-99. I use the 301 the most. The white Featherweight is so darn cute!
    Old 07-20-2010, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by threads57
    I have my husbands greatgrandmothers treadle that is in amazing condition,it's a singer, 2 featherweights, about 6 hand cranks 2 99's and a few others. I love to sew on the treadle. I want to start using the hand cranks. Does anyone have tips to using them?
    No tips needed. Just sew! The feed dogs on mine are so wonderful -- very little effort is needed to keep things sewing straight, just an ocassional left hand adjustment.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-73522.jpe  
    Old 07-20-2010, 06:59 AM

I have a singer 401A that I love, it has so many decorative stitches, and is just a great machine. Wouldn't give it up.
    Old 07-20-2010, 07:11 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Suzanne57
    I have a Singer 15-91 that I bought because of this board. I've followed Billy's tutorials, ripped her apart, cleaned and even got her back together and working!
    Suzanne I had to laugh out loud on this one.....:lol: :lol: :lol:

I am really glad you got it back together and working because if something went south I think I would have hell to pay!!

I am glad that you guys are finding the tutorials helpful, and that everyone is starting to really show an interest in the vintage machines. To me you can see and feel the love in a quilt that has been made on a treadle.

Billy
    Old 07-20-2010, 07:18 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Twilliebee
    Hi, Go to the tutorial section of this board and look for the tutorials called Cleaning Your Vintage Machine. It's in 3 parts and it's excellent. Hope there are more subjects to come! Good luck!
    Yes in fact I am working on a couple right now. One is how to rewire your machine foot pedal included, and the other one is going to be a how to service your more modern 50's and 60's Japanese machines. They are a bit more complicated but the engineering on them will just blow you away!! I am using a mid 60's Kenmore to do the tute on that uses the decorative cams so it will about cover every aspect of the later model vintage machines. Also I have a 500A coming in the mail for a service and I will do one on the slant shanks to show you how to gut one and put her back together with ease!

Billy
    Old 07-25-2010, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Originally Posted by Twilliebee
    Yes in fact I am working on a couple right now. One is how to rewire your machine foot pedal included, and the other one is going to be a how to service your more modern 50's and 60's Japanese machines. They are a bit more complicated but the engineering on them will just blow you away!! I am using a mid 60's Kenmore to do the tute on that uses the decorative cams so it will about cover every aspect of the later model vintage machines. Also I have a 500A coming in the mail for a service and I will do one on the slant shanks to show you how to gut one and put her back together with ease!

Billy
    Thank you Billy! I have a foot pedal to rewire, a Japanese machine and a Singer 500 to clean up.
    Old 07-25-2010, 05:36 PM

I have a bunch, 4 featherweights, 15-91, 66 that I put a hand crank on, 306, 319, 301, 500, 503, 99, and more. the ones I usually use are 1940 featherweight for piecing and my 301 for binding. I love the sound and straight seams of vintage machines. I also love how they look and that I can maintain them myself.
    Old 07-25-2010, 07:40 PM

I love the sound and straight seams of vintage machines. I also love how they look and that I can maintain them myself.[/quote]

Ditto.