Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Vintage thread spools? >
  • Vintage thread spools?

• Vintage thread spools?

Old 09-09-2012, 05:08 PM

I have some in a big glass jar i got at WalMart. They are starting to overrun my sewing room..so thinking of either starting a garland with beads inbetween to spread them out. or I have seen a nifty wreath. Try looking on Pinterest for ideas. DON"T THROW THEM AWAY!! I will buy them from you if you dont' want to keep them!
    Old 09-09-2012, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lara122
    My kids are older, so no dice there. I don't have a sewing 'area' at all. I take over the kitchen table, and island usually. My fabric is on an industrial shelf in my kitchen, and in mismatched plastic storage units, also in my kitchen. My new red eye treadle is in my bedroom, replacing the alarm clock table!

My house is SO small!! and messy. =/. it is definitely not 'decorated-able'!!

I would be glad to send them on if anyone here collects them! They are in great shape, and the ones with lots of thread on them are in beautiful colors!!
    i would love to have them. i have a dedicated sewing room and have other jars of buttons and spools on display.
    Old 09-09-2012, 07:26 PM

My mom is 86 and has given me some old spools. I have them as a keepsake. Mom mentioned they use to cut them in half and use them as cabinet pulls. Waste nothing. I got a vintage dresser and do just that. Varnished the ends so the thread company still showed.

I moved and couldn't take the furniture with me... But love the idea and will do it again.
    Old 09-09-2012, 07:42 PM

I've seen them made into Christmas ornaments. Not sure what to do with them, hate to toss them. I never got around to putting them in the base of the lamp I bought to fill with seashells. Seashells are still sitting in the box- for 5 years. Wonder what the next plan will be for the lamp?
    Old 09-10-2012, 03:01 PM

I have had so many lovely responses, wishing for the spools. Before I tell who is first, would you (anyone?) want to share them around, or *if* you were the winner, would you want them all?

I will tell you that I am SO broke, I would have to have help with shipping. If I already have envelopes, that is no problem. Hopefully I won't have to buy them! because I am . . . . broke!!!

I need to go count them!! ;0) It is probably two double handfuls!

thoughts?
    Old 09-10-2012, 04:45 PM

you can sell them at a consignment shop...that is where i buy mine. I pay 10.00 a jar full.
    Old 04-22-2017, 07:46 PM

Default Wooden spools

Originally Posted by happyquiltmom
    I also have a vintage blue canning jar filled with old wooden spools of thread in assorted colors. It is closed with an old zinc lid. It's very attractive.
    I also have many wooden spools, some with thread, more without. I don't see with the old thread, but have found it works for basting and is easy to remove.
    Old 04-22-2017, 08:01 PM

Lara122,
    There are a number of cute "snowman" Christmas ornaments on Pinterest that are made from wooden spools. If you have the time, energy, and interest, I'll bet you could make some salable ornaments from them.

Most of all, I hope you get some $ out of them. Sounds like you'd appreciate that.

Best wishes!!!
    Old 04-23-2017, 03:46 AM

I had a very old square empty herring jar and I filled it with old spools from an elderly friend. I gave them to my DIL who is also a quilter. She has them on display and they are delightful to look at.