Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Virtual Quilting Weekend--10/10 to 10/13 >
  • Virtual Quilting Weekend--10/10 to 10/13

• Virtual Quilting Weekend--10/10 to 10/13

Old 10-11-2014, 01:07 PM

Sisty88, love your Hummer Storm quilt. It looks like an interesting pattern to try.

Jan in VA, sorry you're not able to quilt with us but glad you're joining us anyway.

Skyangel, pretty girly quilt.

joe'smom, love the flannel sashed quilt.

Mdgenhart, LOVE your pineapple quilt. Are they hard to do?

Cam's gram, my husband just shakes his head too!

PenniF, cute placemats.
    Old 10-11-2014, 01:08 PM

Hi Everyone, I'm joining you for the first time in many, many months. I am working on a quilt top called Christmas Ribbons. I saw a lovely one featured here some time ago and ordered the downloadable pattern. Instead of using Christmas fabric scraps, I am using fall colors. Quite honestly, the first 3/4's of piecing the quilt I found terribly boring. Now that the units are being sewn together, am enjoying seeing the pattern finally emerge and the colors come together. Hope to have the entire top sewn together no later than Monday evening.
    Old 10-11-2014, 01:09 PM

I have a twin size Sun Bonnet Sue quilt for a grat niece to get quilted and another twin size eagle quilt top to finish.
    Old 10-11-2014, 01:38 PM

Red face

Those turkey placemats are so cute!

I would like to join late, as I have finally started piecing a quilt top for a lap quilt that I want to donate to a nursing home or assisted living center. Since I just rescued my mom from a short stay in a nursing home and saw things I wish I hadn't, I want to start "giving back" - even though I am not necessarily great at this.

I will post the first row I have made, and hope to do more tomorrow if my back holds up (grin).
    I cut out the images and appliqued them to the white blocks. Like I said, a beginner at work - ha ha.
    Attached Thumbnails quilt-tops.jpg  
    Old 10-11-2014, 03:03 PM
    Power Poster

The bad thing about the turkeys and snowflakes is....it means winter's coming!!!!

The Grands started a project last summer--http://www.u-createcrafts.com/2011/08/creative-guest-watermark-tee-by-sweet.html. Long story short after a long search for blue glue they are in the dyeing process.

And then there are my 10 pillowcase dresses, 3 are made from fabric. I'm using the armhole cutouts of the larger ones for pockets on the smaller ones. Instead of turning the 2 pocket pieces I've been top stitching the raw edges down for a frayed look sewing the pocket down 2 times.
    Attached Thumbnails 10-1.jpg   10-.jpg   10-3.jpg   10-4.jpg   10-5.jpg  

Old 10-11-2014, 03:13 PM

Rennie, looks like it will be a very pretty quilt. oksewglad, the dresses look great and are for a wonderful cause.

I'm done for day. Didn't get as much time in sewing room as would have liked. Washing machine (4 years old!) decided to die last night so we spent part of day researching and deciding which one to buy. New machine should arrive next Friday. But I did get the quilt top pieced, the binding is made, and I picked out backing. After church tomorrow, I'll sandwich and quilt.

I'm enjoying quilting with all of you. I see there are some from the UK this time, Welcome!
    Old 10-11-2014, 03:49 PM

Todays update: Made it home from the baby shower this afternoon. I got alot more pieced but still have quite a ways to go. It's looking good enough that we were able to bring her photos and listen to comments like "wow that looks like alot of work" and het excitedly naming animals she spotted in the fabrics, so its really nice to know this will be a well appreciated quilt.

I will get this top pieced tonight. The baby is due on the 20th!
    Old 10-11-2014, 03:54 PM

sewbizgirl, that table runner is fascinating! It looks quite exotic, and I love the orange bits in the middle. It's a wonderful combination of textures and colors.

Rennie, that will be a lovely lap quilt.

Today I did a bit of basting, sewed and pressed another group of seams on the flannel quilt, cut another fabric for my new project and worked on machine quilting my 2nd fmq learning quilt. Tonight I plan on a session of hand quilting, and I hope to squeeze in some hand piecing on the couch.

Here is a photo of my 3rd fmq learning quilt set up for basting using the Sharon Schamber basting method. Thank you Sharon Schamber!

Attached Thumbnails imgp8079.jpg  
    Old 10-11-2014, 04:21 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

The pictures are such fun and inspiring works.
    Jan in VA

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-12-2014 at 02:05 AM. Reason: remove negativity
    Old 10-11-2014, 04:38 PM

Raggiemom, the pineapple quilt was dead easy. Took a class using Creative Grid's Pineapple Trim ruler/tool. It squares the block up after every round. Very cool, and these quilts are so classic I'll use it again, so no wasteful "one time" ruler.