Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Virtual Quilting Weekend--12/20-12/24 >
  • Virtual Quilting Weekend--12/20-12/24

• Virtual Quilting Weekend--12/20-12/24

Old 12-25-2018, 10:25 AM

cash's_mom....do take care. Get someone else in there to watch you and help. Food sensitivities are tricky. I had one last night to either the salad or the cheesecake.

I sure don't like being older. When you are older who have to clean up your own mess.
    Old 12-25-2018, 11:19 AM

My peacock came home to roost for Christmas.

For the longest time 8-10 years I've been trying to get this UFO done. I bought the switch plate ten years ago, then 8 years ago I found the panel that matches.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]605790[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]605791[/ATTACH] But I could never decide on what pattern to frame the panel with. Finally, yesterday morning, I decided. Of course the fabrics are that old and you have to judiciously use what you have because finding more is out of the question.

Here's my problem. The pattern calls for some 9 patches in the corner. I'm not sure if that makes it too busy, so those are just pinned there. I want a queen sized quilt so I need to build out to 86 to 92 inches. I have 3 more fabrics, the teal, the blue and the dark purple. The dark purple is supposed to be just a small 2 1/2 or 3 inch stripe and the bulk of the edges are the teal or blue. I don't know how this show up on the computer, but I'm leaning to use the blue on the outside border which will be the biggest one, then a teal binding. A smaller teal border next to what is there now.

Any suggestions are welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails 20181225_140629_resized.jpg   20181225_134833_resized.jpg  
    Old 12-25-2018, 11:21 AM

I made some progress on my cushion cover on Sunday and finally finished it on Monday morning - then quickly ducked out to buy a cushion insert before the shops closed for Christmas. Here is a picture. I followed this method for the cathedral window effect (https://www.mybluprint.com/article/f...-window-pillow), but my squares are smaller to frame my ice skaters better - so my cushion is smaller than the one in the tutorial. I hope everyone is having a lovely Christmas. I've loved seeing everyones progress. I'm getting my next project together for the new year's VQ day now!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]605792[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]605793[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails winter-skater-cushion.jpg   winter-skater-cushion-close-up.jpg  
    Old 12-25-2018, 12:19 PM

Those finishes look great! I also finished a project. I got all the binding sewn on my daughter’s UFO quilt. She had put it down for 3-5 years & asked me to complete it for her. I finally got it done this morning! I’m excited & gave it to her this afternoon. She’s very happy with it. I’ll post a picture once I’m home & can access my laptop.
    Old 12-25-2018, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe
    cash's_mom....do take care. Get someone else in there to watch you and help. Food sensitivities are tricky. I had one last night to either the salad or the cheesecake.

I sure don't like being older. When you are older who have to clean up your own mess.
    I work with a nutritionist. We are gradually trying new foods and, evidently, ketchup is not one of the good ones. I had the LEAP MRT sensitivity tests done a year or so ago and while they are a good baseline not everything is tested and not everything that is tested shows up exactly right. I think there are too many variable especially in anything processed. I seem to not do well with processed foods, even ones that are just barely processed. *sigh* I may have to start making my own ketchup also.
    Old 12-25-2018, 02:00 PM

I was trained as an entomologist for the ketchup industry. It is legal (or it was in 1964-8) to have 7 insect parts per bottle. Since we could recognize even the tinest toe off a bug, we would get paid for looking through ketchup. I'll eat mustard on my hot dog, but not much ketchup. I've taken those sensitivity tests and I'm sensitive to about 9 things. None of which is really bad.
    Old 12-25-2018, 02:47 PM

Love how the panel matches the switch plate. It's just my personal opinion but I'm not sure about the brown. The blue, teal and purple look lovely with it. Part of it may be that brown isn't my favorite color but it seems to draw away from the dominant colors in the panel. My husband actually said the same thing which surprised me! As for the nine patches, I think you could go either way. They look small enough to not detract from the panel and just add a little extra something to the border. I hope that helps

QUOTE=Battle Axe;8181467]My peacock came home to roost for Christmas.

For the longest time 8-10 years I've been trying to get this UFO done. I bought the switch plate ten years ago, then 8 years ago I found the panel that matches.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]605790[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]605791[/ATTACH] But I could never decide on what pattern to frame the panel with. Finally, yesterday morning, I decided. Of course the fabrics are that old and you have to judiciously use what you have because finding more is out of the question.

Here's my problem. The pattern calls for some 9 patches in the corner. I'm not sure if that makes it too busy, so those are just pinned there. I want a queen sized quilt so I need to build out to 86 to 92 inches. I have 3 more fabrics, the teal, the blue and the dark purple. The dark purple is supposed to be just a small 2 1/2 or 3 inch stripe and the bulk of the edges are the teal or blue. I don't know how this show up on the computer, but I'm leaning to use the blue on the outside border which will be the biggest one, then a teal binding. A smaller teal border next to what is there now.

Any suggestions are welcome.[/QUOTE]
    Old 12-25-2018, 03:06 PM

The finished projects are beautiful everyone.

I managed to to finish my Nebraska quilt and 2 pillowcases [ATTACH=CONFIG]605797[/ATTACH] today and put on our bed. I started out using a pattern that only had 9 12” blocks in the center with 7 borders. I didn’t’t Like that many borders so reconstructed the Pattern to this. The 8” border was what took the longest I had to add more blocks. The Nebraska fabric I bought in Nebraska while I was on a bus shop hop tour back in August.
    Attached Thumbnails 84dfcb76-7534-4c69-a3f2-771b12621f5c.jpeg  
    Old 12-25-2018, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Christine-
    The first 2 of 56 blocks I'll be making during this VQW. I'm looking forward to reading what everyone else is working on!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]605585[/ATTACH]
    I love your 30s fabrics.
    Old 12-25-2018, 05:17 PM

Found this free pattern on quilt inspiration blog spot. Been working on it off and on this weekend. Have 5 quilts that are in the works. [ATTACH=CONFIG]605810[/ATTACH] same pattern different layouts.
    Attached Thumbnails 1545786925029715683496.jpg