Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Virtual Quilting Weekend--12/31/20-1/3/21 >
  • Virtual Quilting Weekend--12/31/20-1/3/21

• Virtual Quilting Weekend--12/31/20-1/3/21

Old 01-03-2021, 02:30 PM

Quiltah Mama--that's a lot of cleaning! I've thought about starting some spring cleaning but so far it's just thought and no action.

rryder--your mushroom is cool. I had to look up Helen Godden; her work looks very interesting. Her Quirky Collections sounds like a good project for a beginner. Are the paints and brushes expensive to purchase?

I finished clues 2 and 3 and am partway through #4. The fifth clue came out last night. I should be all caught up by the time the next clue comes out next Friday thanks to this weekend.

Hope to see you all again in a couple weeks!
    Old 01-03-2021, 03:03 PM

Mama, we can quilt together! lol
    Saw a coffee mug online. Words on the side going from top to bottom:
    COFFEE
    QUILTING
    QUILTING
    QUILTING
    QUILTING
    QUILTING
    WINE
    My kinda mug!
    Old 01-03-2021, 03:17 PM

Well, quite a productive 2 days. I emptied the box of homespuns. Had to wear a mask, since opening a window during an Ontario winter is definitely contraindicated. But that really helped. I found a bunch of 2 1/2 inch strips but could not visualize a homespun jelly roll top. Instead I went with bricks, using a mottled grey for the mortar. I am trying to clean up the smaller pieces, leaving the larger ones for other projects. The picture was yesterday's achievement. I added another 7 rows today. This will end up being a single bed sized donation top. I think it looks very 'manly'.
    Attached Thumbnails img_1166-small-.jpg  
    Old 01-03-2021, 04:35 PM

Wow GingerK, I really like your homespun idea. That looks fantastic.
    Julienm1, now that is my kind of coffee mug.
    i got some sewing in this afternoon. Got to work on the rope cording for a jelly roll rug. Almost got it all sewn, but still had a little to finish, when supper was ready, (lasagna and home made bread) then my energy took a nose dive. Tomorrow is my first day back to work since 12/18/20. I went on a few scattered days, mostly to keep up on emails and to keep my desk cleaned off, and I did work from home one day. But it sure was a nice break, I am recharged now and looking forward to returning. 😁
    Thank you Raggiemom for hosting. So glad to see all that everyone got to work on. I always say thank God we have quilting during this odd time on our lives, and great people to do it with, and share with. 😎🧵
    Old 01-03-2021, 04:42 PM

Kara, I love how organized you are for making jelly roll rugs...and you’re right, we are blessed to have a hobby to keep us from going stir crazy during these uncertain times.

I was able to complete the Merry Mayhem mystery quilt too this VQW...I am looking forward to the next one.

Attached Thumbnails cc552ef5-7690-4a65-aabf-352c9e510d45.jpeg  
    Old 01-03-2021, 06:35 PM

Well I created 2 UFO's and started a new planned scrappy quilt. Waiting for sewing machine tech to call so I can pick up my machine.
    Old 01-03-2021, 11:53 PM

I'm sorry I didn't get to join you all for this VQW - I was so excited about it, and then life got in the way, so... next time!

Some absolutely fabulous work has been done though - I love looking at everyone's photos and hearing about all the progress.

I did manage to squeeze in a little sewing. I've started making some fabric bags out of my Christmas stash, with the idea that next year I won't have to do quite so much present-wrapping (which I am not good at, and dislike) - at least this way it will be easier, especially for the awkward shaped items! So far I've made 5, but am aiming for at least 15 in various sizes. They will be only for family presents, since I want to re-use them each year, not re-make them each year! Plus a reduction in sticky tape and wrapping paper has to be better for the planet.

Otherwise, despite the fact that I have several UFOs/WIPs I *should* be working on, I started a new project - a Little Red Truck Christmas tree skirt for my son (who has adored the Little Red Truck this year). The trucks are foundation pieced, and I'm finding some bits of it fairly tricky. I have about 1 and a half trucks done (needs four). I am hoping that I am quicker to complete this tree skirt than the last one

Happy New Year everyone!
    Old 01-04-2021, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Raggiemom
    Quiltah Mama--that's a lot of cleaning! I've thought about starting some spring cleaning but so far it's just thought and no action.

rryder--your mushroom is cool. I had to look up Helen Godden; her work looks very interesting. Her Quirky Collections sounds like a good project for a beginner. Are the paints and brushes expensive to purchase?

I finished clues 2 and 3 and am partway through #4. The fifth clue came out last night. I should be all caught up by the time the next clue comes out next Friday thanks to this weekend.

Hope to see you all again in a couple weeks!

Hey Raggiemom, the Quirky Collections is a good one to start with. The paints are a bit pricey, but they’re high quality and will last a long time. I have enjoyed learning her techniques.

Thanks for hosting!

Rob
    Old 01-04-2021, 03:42 AM

No quilting for me this week-end. I spent my time prepping for an online class I will be teaching. The machine was never even turned on, the needle threaded or the blade put to use. Maybe I will be free for the VQW.
    Old 01-04-2021, 03:59 AM

I did finish binding the one scrap quilt, got sidetracked by a small UFO (turned it into a small baby quilt-as-you-go) gathered some embroidery things for a friend. Not a bad sewing weekend all in all. Happy (and healthy!) New Year.