Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Virtual quilting weekend 8/30-9/2/24 >
  • Virtual quilting weekend 8/30-9/2/24

• Virtual quilting weekend 8/30-9/2/24

Old 08-31-2024, 02:02 PM

Iceblossom--I just realized you were from the greater Peoria area. My mom and I passed through there a few weeks ago. We were looking for the Botanical Gardens. We found the zoo and went through that but didn't realize the Gardens were behind the zoo The zoo was fun though. Stopped at a few shops in Illinois, really liked the shop in Danville.

I've had a couple productive days. Mornings spent doing errands and housework. I've crossed a couple items off my list. I'm working on some lemoyne stars which is frustrating me. I cut the number of strips pattern said and I'm supposed to get 40 pairs from the three sets of strips. I have 33 pairs. There is absolutely no way you could get 40 from them. I need four sets of strips. I KNOW I have the fabric here but can I find it?? So I will do as much as I can until I figure out where it's hiding

It's wonderful to see so many quilting with me this weekend.
    Old 08-31-2024, 02:11 PM

aasheley333, just love your seahorse. Can't wait to see it finished.

Lena, this is actually my 2nd Easy Breezy quilt. The first one I used the 6" finished blocks and it went to my sister, who told me she needed another quilt ........ so why not give it to her. While I was making the 6" blocks, I also was making the 4" blocks too. I finally have enough 4" blocks to put together into a nice size quilt. This one I plan on keeping, unless one of my daughters decide to claim it.

I've been busy this morning, so I haven't been near my sewing machine yet. But I have done some work on my "never-ending" hexie EPP.
    Attached Thumbnails img_1592.jpeg  
    Old 09-01-2024, 04:22 AM

Ashley333: Love the seahorse. My 10 year old granddaughter has sent me a bluebird picture done in Pixel Art. I may need to give that a try.

Update on my progress: !) Finished binding the community outreach quilt

2) up to between 50 and 60 of the string blocks. I'm pulling scraps from what I've come to call my "Bin of Horrors". For forty years I've thrown strips and strings in it until I can no linger close the lid. I've used scraps from this in the past and I've often wondered why I've kept some of these tiny bits. So it's turned into a "throw as you go" cleanout when I should be sewing more.

3) the top with the block that's pieced wrong just lays across the longarm frame mocking me!
    Old 09-01-2024, 04:49 AM

Well as I got my dinosaur quilt top done, I went ahead and pulled out the fabrics I've been saving for a checkerboard idea for a couple who requested one. Went thru all the reds I'd pulled from the stash and picked out the ones I thought would work. Then went to my whites and pulled all those that were 1yd or less on the comic book boards. I went into EQ8 to design this optical illusion pattern I watched on YouTube Video using a 4-patch and it's basically a disappearing 4-patch. Made the block A and block B and started arranging them so I'd have an idea how much yardage I'd need. Added the sashings and border I wanted and started cutting half yards from the reds I'd picked out. This pattern should end up around 101x 101 when finished if I'm lucky though I don't care for square quilts but with 169 blocks, 13 x 13 I don't think I want to make any more. Got all the fabrics starched and hung up and will get them pressed on Monday. I want to make one trial block to see if it's as easy as the video claimed so that's what I'll be doing the rest of this short holiday.
    Old 09-02-2024, 04:54 AM

Yesterday, I stitched the rest of the squares together so that I could pin rows while watching TV with DH in evening. I am fixin' to stitch them and post a pic before planning the rest of the quilt.
    Old 09-02-2024, 09:20 AM

Yeah! I actually accomplished my goal! Now to make this panel into a quilt top.
    Attached Thumbnails blue-seahorse-panel.jpg  
    Old 09-02-2024, 10:23 AM

I finished the cross stitch pillow for my daughter yesterday. I also was able to make more sashing for my Easy Breezy top. Plan on putting some more rows together today.
    Attached Thumbnails img_1595.jpeg  
    Old 09-02-2024, 12:13 PM

I was hoping to complete all of the blocks for my "Square Links" quilt during this VQW, but I didn't quite make it. I got this far on the last 24 blocks (of 90). Only 2 seams left to go on each - I should finish tomorrow and start laying out the quilt.
    Attached Thumbnails squareliink-last24.png  
    Old 09-02-2024, 12:49 PM

Labor Day is not over but it is time to report in and look progress. I did not fully complete my list but I came pretty close. Close enough to please me.

1. Sandwich three quilts (Sandwiched two. Did not have enough spray baste for the third quilt which is the largest of the three. Maybe later this month?)
    2. Quilt one of the three that are layered. (Nearly finished the quilting on one. Likely finish this evening and bind in the next few days.)
    3. Make three Scrappiness is Happiness blocks for group sew-a-long. (Finished 5 blocks. Whoo Hoo!)
    4. Make a few of the Boom Blocks for the fall exchange. (Kitted up 5 and finished two.)

Enjoy the rest of your celebration, BBQ, grilled supper, family or return from a quick vacation.
    Seeing lots of goals met and finishes posted Yeah!

Last edited by WMUTeach; 09-02-2024 at 12:51 PM.
    Old 09-02-2024, 03:39 PM

aashley333--the seahorse turned out wonderful!

sync--adorable pillow

I managed to get done what I wanted this weekend so I am happy. Looks like it was a productive weekend for lots of us which is great. I did find the fabric I needed to make seven additional pairs of Lemoyne stars. Now I just need to assemble Night Sky (by Jaybird Quilts) top so I can piece the Snow Flurries (Deb Tucker certified instructor pattern). Thanks for quilting with me; hope to see you all back here next month