Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Virtual quilting weekend 8/30-9/2/24 >
  • Virtual quilting weekend 8/30-9/2/24

• Virtual quilting weekend 8/30-9/2/24

Old 09-03-2024, 03:11 AM

I finished cleaning and can now see the entire top of my cutting station. It’s a miracle! I still didn’t go back to the OBW but did finish a wool appliqué project that has been languishing for a few years. I love seeing all the projects everyone was working on. We have some very talented artists on this board!
    Old 09-03-2024, 04:18 AM

Well, I didn't get my quilt finished, as I had hoped. I went to my sister's yesterday afternoon and didn't get away until after 6:00 and I was exhausted when I got home.

I got most of the quilting done, though. It will only take a couple of hours to finish the quilting. Boy, did I ever learn a lot on this one. For one, don't use black for backing and sashing for my own quilts. (I have three blonde dogs, who all shed.) For two, don't over complicate your quilting plan. (It may not actually need that much quilting.) For three, press with an iron as you go on a string quilt. (My finger pressing is not adequate on a string quilt. I'm not Donna Jordan)

I still love the quilt. It is so bright and cheerful. I've enjoyed making it (except the stupid quilting design I came up with).

So, I'll call this one a success, as soon as I finish it.

bkay
    Old 09-03-2024, 04:29 AM

SloScotty, I love that quilt. Is there a pattern for it? I've made a few quilts without a pattern, but they've all been subject to a lot of "wish I had knowns" after the fact.

bkay
    Old 09-03-2024, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by bkay
    SloScotty, I love that quilt. Is there a pattern for it? I've made a few quilts without a pattern, but they've all been subject to a lot of "wish I had knowns" after the fact.

bkay
    Thanks! I've developed my own pattern. I got the idea from this free pattern: https://ivoryspring.wordpress.com/20...nt-in-squares/
    Mine is quite a bit different in that I wanted the squares to interlock in a certain way. (My blocks are constructed entirely dfferently.) After I figured out my pattern, I've since seen other designs that are more similar, but I can't locate them right now.
    You can get an idea of the block construction from my previous photo, and the overall quilt design I'm constructing to is shown below.
    Attached Thumbnails square-link-5color-100x90-stash.png  

Last edited by sloscotty; 09-03-2024 at 05:39 AM.
    Old 09-03-2024, 06:12 PM

I like your pattern too. Are your strips 2"? Bet one could figure it out with just a bit of time and some graph paper maybe. Please be sure to post a photo of your final quilt top. I for one would love to see either the flimsy or the finished quilt.
    Old 09-03-2024, 11:29 PM

Thanks! Strips are cut 2.5" - block size is 10.5" (10" finished). Each block is constructed exactly the same - just different colors. For my quilt, I am using 5 different "colors" with two shades of each color.
    Attached Thumbnails square-link-block-explode-0.png  
    Old 09-04-2024, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by sloscotty
    Thanks! Strips are cut 2.5" - block size is 10.5" (10" finished). Each block is constructed exactly the same - just different colors. For my quilt, I am using 5 different "colors" with two shades of each color.
    Ohhhh, my old friends, 2.5. Lov'en it. My guess the hardest part is laying it out so you get the correct colors touching to make the squares.
    Old 09-04-2024, 05:46 AM

Sloscotty, I am saving your pattern in my "pretty" file! I love it! I am wondering, "What if...I uses prints..."
    Old 09-04-2024, 12:18 PM

Go for it! I used prints on mine...even on the background...
    Old 09-04-2024, 01:46 PM

The perfect help if you have not finished the top, is to show the order of the construction of the blocks. I've stared at it and figured what I think is the right order, but you have the actual experience of assembling the blocks.

bkay