Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Virtual Quilting Weekend--August 5-August 7, 2016 >
  • Virtual Quilting Weekend--August 5-August 7, 2016

• Virtual Quilting Weekend--August 5-August 7, 2016

Old 08-06-2016, 10:35 AM

This weekend I am cleaning and organizing my sewing room, creating a new cutting area with cabinets I keep fabric in and plywood top, will by 4 ft. By 6 ft. Bought plywood this morning, sweetie is sanding it now.
    Old 08-06-2016, 11:16 AM

I wish I had seen this post earlier. I'm in even though I am late. I'm taking a class on a blooming nine patch and I've started the process. I just finished the 3rd colors nine patches all 24 of them Whew! I'm loving it so far but it is a lot of sewing so having everyone's moral support will help tremendously.

Now as far as the quilts and other projects I've seen so far...loving it....as the mcdonald's commercial says. The black gold and silver diamonds are amazing just to name one.
    Old 08-06-2016, 01:06 PM

Here's pics of what I've been working on this weekend. The first is a tote that has been in the UFO pile for 3 years. The second pic is another UFO that I've decided it's time to finish--the pieces are on the design wall in the arrangement I've decided to use. The 3rd and 4th pics are of a collaborative piece I'm working on with another artist. I've couched several strings of crystals to it, and done some rudimentary FMQ on it to tack it down to the batting and backing, and also added extra batting underneath the painted portion. My next step will be to FMQ around some (maybe all) of the individual circles and they should end up standing out a fair ways from the background since I've added several layers of extra batting under them. Then it will get some border fabrics and go back to my collaborator. I'm also trying to get some table hot pads done--no pics of those yet.

Rob<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>
    Attached Thumbnails img_0751.jpg   img_0753.jpg   img_0754.jpg   img_0756.jpg  
    Old 08-06-2016, 01:15 PM

Some really interesting projects to see. I made a patriotic table runner for my parents for Christmas. The other picture is the quilt top I did yesterday, frivol #11.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]555427[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]555428[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails wp_20160805_15_46_58_pro.jpg   wp_20160806_16_32_27_pro.jpg  
    Old 08-06-2016, 01:27 PM

tTook time out from my scrappy quilt blocks today to work on a new wall hanging for the living room. Three sawtooth star blocks framed. I'll sandwich, quilt it, and bind it tomorrow.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]555429[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails 002.jpg  
    Old 08-06-2016, 01:40 PM

what a lot of nice pictures to look at!

I've been working on the brown bargello - does not look like a lot of progress yet, but I'm on my fourth bobbin. I wound 8 before starting this AM.

Old 08-06-2016, 02:30 PM
    Power Poster

We have the same Juki, Cathy!

What I've done today is create a hanging sleeve for my Row by Row quilt that I just retrieved from the quilt shop I had lent it to. After three weeks they still had it folded up on a chair, so it was definitely time to bring it home! Poo on them. Now I can hang it up on the wall here and enjoy it. I really love it.

I also was able to find some more of my cardinals in the snow fabric and made another dozen of these hexagon blocks:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]555446[/ATTACH]

used it all up and all the red too, but now I can make a decent lap size quilt of it, to donate at Christmas.
    Attached Thumbnails dsc02689-small-.jpg  
    Old 08-06-2016, 03:04 PM

I've gotten more done today than I have since my last real retreat.
    Old 08-06-2016, 03:55 PM

Cutting area is done except for getting a new large mat. Three sides are glass fronted cabinets where I put my stash. They used to be along the wall, using them as a base freed up so much space in my room. I still have to organize the fabric better at a later time. other photos are shelves in corner for storage where the cabinets used to be, my ironing station, peg board for tools and rulers, books below shelves, my machine where I put the old cutting table behind it for more area to hold weight when quilting. It's coming together. Will vacuum and dust tomorrow, tired from moving furniture today.
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg  

image.jpeg  
    Old 08-06-2016, 04:51 PM

Wow! I love all of the awesome projects! Thanks for sharing.

Welcome to all of the newcomers. You will love this virtual event!

I'm only following along but I have been doing quilt-related things. It's Minnesota's Quilt Shop Hop and I went to 14 quilt shops over 2 days. I met lots of nice shop owners, employees, and customers but I'm sure beat. .

I tied the trip in with a quick stop at the county fair where my great nephew was showing his calf. He was so cute showing it.

Tomorrow I will be picking up my friend and we are going to Itasca State Park in northern MN. Of course, it works out perfectly to go to more quilt shops. . If a thrift store is near, I will drop off my non-sewing friend(read that as totally uninterested in sewing friend) while I go to the quilt store.

I will be checking in tomorrow night.

Time to pack for the trip.

Connie