Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Virtual Quilting Weekend--Fourth of July version >
  • Virtual Quilting Weekend--Fourth of July version

• Virtual Quilting Weekend--Fourth of July version

Old 07-07-2019, 12:29 PM

All day yesterday I was traveling to & from the memorial for our rider friend. The service itself was 2 hrs long! We ate after the service & finally left around 6:30. I was gone from home yesterday for 12.5 hours, so no craft work was done. Today, tho, I finished quilting my sandwiched quilt. I still have the binding, but will teach camp all this coming week. I'm not sure I'll feel like finishing before next weekend.
    Old 07-07-2019, 12:46 PM

Hooray for all our quilting buddies. And big applause for sewing on the bindings! I am so awful on handwork and it takes me forever.

Love the block, QuiltnNan. Since my friend gave my new-to-me modern machine with the knee pedal and the thread cutter and the this and that, I have been enjoying making some partial seam blocks! It's been fun and I am less covered with threads than I used to be.

I still like assembly line chain piecing the best, but those partial seam blocks are better for me with the little extra technology.
    Old 07-07-2019, 01:28 PM

I finished off some seams on the back of my Jacobean Journey yesterday. I embroider the design on each block with the top, batting, and backing in my embroidery hoop. I then trim the squares, line up the embroidery on the front and join the blocks together. The top fabric is 1.5 inches larger than the backing fabric. I press the seam open and then I fold the top fabric over the backing fabric to hide the edges. I am using a curvy stitch to sew down the front seam allowances. I can only sew on this for about an hour at a time and then my eyes start to cross from trying to keep the folds and the stitching straight. It's rather boring but it has to be done. The center of the quilt has 80 blocks and I have 75 of them embroidered before my machine locked up. I want to have those 75 blocks finished off today.
    Attached Thumbnails front-quilt.jpg   joined-back.jpg   finished-back.jpg  

Last edited by Fabric Galore; 07-07-2019 at 01:31 PM. Reason: misspelling
    Old 07-07-2019, 01:37 PM

Conchalea, I'm so sorry for your loss.

QuiltingVagabond, I hope your husband is feeling better.

Fabric Galore, wow!!!

I have enjoyed quilting with all of you for the second weekend in a row. I even managed to get quite a bit done So see you the end of the month.
    Old 07-07-2019, 03:39 PM

Thanks for this little bonus time Raggiemom! Even with my grand-doggy helping I managed to get the final border on my Triple Irish Chain and posted it in the challenges. Here is a link to that picture. Scrappy Irish Chain Sew-Along
    Old 07-07-2019, 04:47 PM

Thank you, Raggiemom. I rode with friends & we got to share memories of her as we drove. Also, thanks for hosting this bonus VQW. I did manage to finish quilting, so I count it a success.
    Old 07-07-2019, 07:05 PM

Raggiemom, thanks again for hosting another great VQW. I didn't get the two tops finished but I did make some progress. It's enjoying to see everyone else work, I'll get to that place where I can reload out pix again.
    Have a wonderful week everyone

Cherryb
    Old 07-08-2019, 03:28 AM

Have my friends quilt half quilted, will work on it today and finish it tomorrow! Has been interesting quilting it as it had the quilt pattern already drawn on in pencil and is all ruler(straight) lines which I am not good at following!
    Old 07-08-2019, 04:54 AM

Thanks for hosting these VQWs! I didn't finish all my binding jobs, but I came pretty close. Congrats to all my friends here who worked so hard! The photos are always an inspiration. See y'all later in the month at the next VQW!