Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Virtual Quilting Weekend -- June 30 - July 4, 2017 >
  • Virtual Quilting Weekend -- June 30 - July 4, 2017

• Virtual Quilting Weekend -- June 30 - July 4, 2017

Old 07-03-2017, 06:55 AM

You are all making good progress and I enjoyed looking through the pics this morning.
    I didn't get to do as much sewing as I had hoped this weekend, but I did finish the top - needs to be loaded and quilted next.
    I finished the bag - got pulled away from the machine for fireworks (Canada Day)
    And making progress on sewing 2 strips together to sub cut further. This project will be going with me while we camp next week.
    Thanks for hosting this virtual sewing bee, it helped me keep on track! I was glad to get the bag done and off my list!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]575733[/ATTACH]
    Somehow I can't get the bag to load. I'll try later.
    Attached Thumbnails 055.jpg  
    Old 07-03-2017, 07:02 AM

Yesterday, I finished 2 more charity quilts. Fun and ez to put together. I sure do enjoy seeing everyone's quilts and projects this weekend. Very inspiring![ATTACH=CONFIG]575737[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]575738[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails img_0874.jpg   img_0872.jpg  
    Old 07-03-2017, 08:33 AM

I didn't do any quilting yesterday. That was a day to get a new vintage machine, a lovely 1950 Singer 201-2 in a very nice cabinet. I am so happy and I now feel like my collection is complete. I had to finish working on the cabinet for the 301 that was given to me, so I did the 201-2 as well. Then had to carry them both up 14 steps to my main living level. I was too beat after that to quilt, I didn't want to mess up being too tired. Here is my newest little beauty:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]575770[/ATTACH]

This morning I woke up ready to sew! I finished quilting the wall hanging on my treadle machine, so now all that is left is to square it up, make the rod pockets, bind it, and hang it. This is exciting, it should be hanging before the end of the VQW.

Here is a question for you all, since the quilted lines are all running through the piece diagonally, do I need to run a line of stitches around the perimeter? I have never done a piece this size and I want it to hang nice.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]575772[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails 20170702_151336-800x600.jpg   20170703_105415-800x600.jpg  
    Old 07-03-2017, 11:16 AM

It will make your life easier when you go to bind it if you stay stitch along the edge. Just a line of straight stitching close enough to the edge to be in the seam allowance for your binding.

Rob
    Old 07-03-2017, 11:28 AM
    Power Poster

I managed to finish a top but now that I added borders they just don't seem to work. It looked much better in my mind during the planning stage than in reality. So they will have to come off. Later though.
    Old 07-03-2017, 12:34 PM

D.Henson, loving that simple charity quilts, are those 5 1/2 in. blocks, this just inspired me to complete some embroidery blocks with the child print like that

tscweaves, I'm truly a fan of a vintage SINGER 201 and that cabinet is gorgeous.

I had to go out again this afternoon and it always makes me lazy. So I guess I'll crawl up in the bed and just hand quilt, not going to get too much more than that done today. There is always tomorrow.
    Old 07-03-2017, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
    qltnmom - Love this little kitty runner! Is it your original design? My friend has 3 black cats and it would be perfect for her!
    The pattern is "Cat Tails" by Quilt Lily Designs. http://www.quiltlily.com/Patterns.html
    Old 07-03-2017, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by rryder
    It will make your life easier when you go to bind it if you stay stitch along the edge. Just a line of straight stitching close enough to the edge to be in the seam allowance for your binding.

Rob
    Thank you Rob! I have been quilting for well over fourteen years, and never thought to stay stitch the edges! Sometimes the simplest things are the easiest to overlook. I thank you for your comment and I will be doing this from now on!
    Old 07-03-2017, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by rryder

Rob
    Thank you Rob,

This is the largest piece that I have quilted, I think that stay stitching my 2nd piece really would have helped. Okay, this one is stitched along the edge and the rod pockets are made:-) I am getting excited being this close to the finish line.
    Old 07-03-2017, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty

tscweaves, I'm truly a fan of a vintage SINGER 201 and that cabinet is gorgeous.
    I was really happy to find it for a really sweet price. This was the last machine that I was really yearning for so now my collection should be complete. I was very happy when I saw what the cabinet looked like. It is very similar to the one that my 15-88 is in only that one has the straight iron legs and a belly drawer. They should be happy together