Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Virtual Quilting Weekend -- June 30 - July 4, 2017 >
  • Virtual Quilting Weekend -- June 30 - July 4, 2017

• Virtual Quilting Weekend -- June 30 - July 4, 2017

Old 06-30-2017, 12:03 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]575550[/ATTACH]Getting ready for the Virtual Weekend. I have prepared these. Will need to prep leaves too. Would like to get this done and work on Sylvia's Bridal Quilt. Have pre-cut some Sylvia blocks. Tonight eating with DH friends then I will sew rest of time. Yea!!!
    Attached Thumbnails img_7141.jpg  
    Old 06-30-2017, 12:05 PM

Okay, I have never done a VQW. I am planning to quilt my 3rd quilt, which is another wall hanging. I just started quilting in April of this year which coincides with the start of me aquiring vintage Singer sewing machines.

This wall hanging will go above my patio doors in my living room. It is a Bargello from a pattern I found on line. I am sewing it on my 1932 Singer 15-88 treadle. I was not sure how to quilt it, so after getting a number of ideas I am going for gentle curves following the Bargello curves using a walking foot on the treadle. I did a practice piece with some of the leftover strips and I like the effect. Should be fun and interesting.

Here is the finished top:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]575551[/ATTACH]

And this was my practice piece. I surprised myself by doing this because I very rarely sample when I weave, I kind of just jump in and see what happens. The color blocks and alignment are very different from the top but I was able to practice the curves on the treadle machine.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]575552[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails 20170625_190055-800x600.jpg   20170628_204204-800x600.jpg  
    Old 06-30-2017, 12:57 PM

Beautiful kitty. Typical activity-napping, on mom's work. Maybe your smell on it is comforting. But then fresh laundry works too.
    Old 06-30-2017, 01:06 PM

tsc, nice bargello! Quilting it on a treadle, tell us how that goes. I would like to try that sometime, I did not know you could get a walking foot for the treadle.
    The top is now together, that went quick.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]575553[/ATTACH]
    Now to cut out the bag and quilt it.
    Attached Thumbnails 304.jpg  
    Old 06-30-2017, 01:24 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by petthefabric
    Beautiful kitty. Typical activity-napping, on mom's work. Maybe your smell on it is comforting. But then fresh laundry works too.
    You know it. They all do that the minute they see the laundry basket.

I really am enjoying seeing everyone's progress. This afternoon, I cut some fabric for still another table runner. It will have little trees for winter time.
    Old 06-30-2017, 01:41 PM

Phranny - I like your quilt. Is it a pattern or did you wing it?
    TSCWeaves - quilting on a treadle? I'm afraid for me it would be like walk and rubbing my belly at the same time -- ain't gonna happen. Good luck to you. BTW, the wall hanging is gorgeous.
    Old 06-30-2017, 01:59 PM

Sewbizgirl, sorry that's not wool batting, but there is a story for the top: My cousin does the long-arming and another friend and myself do the piecing. We do charity quilts for batter shelters and the local children's hospital. My cousin got ill last year with the LA and got little behind on the tops. So, I told her I would hand quilt or use my walking foot to quilt some and she brought me this one. I did not do the embroidery on this one, bit I did one in April. So this is poly-filled batting. I'm allegeric to wool and I would not be able to work it. But, I am going to finish this one. It's been around for a while between myself, my cousin, and the original embroider.

Kristakz, that's a beauty, I love me some vintage E-machines

Tscweaves, you are 'tops' in my book, a recent quilter, and a treadler, and that bargello pattern, WOW

Phranny, the wedding quilt is turning out gorgeous
    Old 06-30-2017, 02:21 PM

Thanks for starting another VQW. I have a few projects I want to work on this long weekend. I need to start on the quilting for my niece's quilt and then there are the bountiful baskets applique blocks ..... I'll work on them while watching the Daytona races ........ and I just finished basting a mini quilt that will need quilting. Well, I guess those projects should keep me busy. lol .... now I just need to get off this computer and get to working.
    Old 06-30-2017, 02:23 PM

you folks all have great plans and projects! I hope to organize my sewing room but first I have to finish a quilt top. I won a kit Meditation and I just about have it completed. I am to 2nd border - which is pieced and I am trying to decide if I want to do that or just make a plain border There was a lot of piecing in this one and I am tired ha ha ha Maybe tomorrow I will be up to it tomorrow[ATTACH=CONFIG]575556[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails 100_5622.jpg  

Last edited by meyert; 06-30-2017 at 02:27 PM.
    Old 06-30-2017, 02:52 PM

Welcome to all the newcomers! I've made pretty good progress on the room today. It should be all organized by the end of the weekend. Tomorrow I'm going to a sew-in with several friends so will actually be doing some quilting