Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Virtual Quilting Weekend--Nov 6-8, 2020 >
  • Virtual Quilting Weekend--Nov 6-8, 2020

• Virtual Quilting Weekend--Nov 6-8, 2020

Old 11-07-2020, 04:05 AM

I am in and already working on a quilt top. I have to finish the border on it and then make the decision on whether to hand quilt or give it to my LA quilter.. my next decision will be to decide which project is next. My area in I’ll is in a lockdown again so I will be sewing a lot. I am so glad I have this hobby to keep me busy!

My DGD tested positive for Covid. I have been tested and am negative so far and will be quarantined until next Tuesday. I picked her up and drove her home from school a week ago last Tuesday. She became ill in the wee hours of the night the following Friday. I have to quarantine for 2 weeks since I last saw her. Her parents are both in with it now and so far her brother is okay. They go for further tests today. My dgd is over the illness and her parents are getting better but all are in quarantine for quite a while. They say it was very uncomfortable but they are recovering.
    Old 11-07-2020, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom
    jmoore, coloring books are great and the Dollar Store often has ones that can be turned into applique shapes.

But the internet is full of coloring pages too! If you just do a search on "helicopter coloring pages" you get many results, as you do with "free cartoon helicopter". Or even "free airplane coloring book".
    Thanks Iceblossom...very helpful suggestion.
    Old 11-07-2020, 05:20 AM

Checking in (after lunchtime for me)

Goodness luvstoquilt, I'm glad everyone seems to be recovering OK, and good luck for the rest of your quarantine! I too have been so glad to have my quilting to turn to.

So far today I have selected accent fabrics for my penguin block (which went easily this time I think - might change my mind when I see it cut out), made a fabric bag intended to corral DS's Duplo, and done some work on my pumpkins wallhanging. The intention is that the wallhanging will be double-sided, with 'traditional' pumpkins on one side and more Halloween-y ones on the other. I've made the actual wallhanging part for each side but am now working on embellishments for the Halloween side. Also watching a lot of 'Quilt Roadies' on Youtube as I work - recently discovered and a bit of escapism (they travel).

Happy Sewing!
    Old 11-07-2020, 05:35 AM

Sweet quilt, Michellec!

Panchita- No, car shopping is not something I enjoy doing at all. The Tahoe was a 1999 that we’ve had since 2001. My truck is a 2003 that we’ve had since 2005, so you can see we keep our vehicles a long long time. We did manage to eliminate 1 that we thought might be in the running yesterday just by sitting in it. Another one we’d thought we might like is likely too small given DH is a big guy with arthritis, we’re supposed to test drive it today. All things being equal, we’d probably like another Tahoe, but the price for even well used ones is astronomical- and now that we are down to one horse, we probably don’t really need the towing capacity of a Tahoe anymore.

I didn’t get any quilting done after we got back yesterday afternoon, but am hoping for some quality time with my machine today. I’ve got the UfO panel that I could work on , or I could make some quick pillows using orphan blocks- decisions, decisions...

Rob
    Old 11-07-2020, 05:56 AM

Busy people both in quilting and real life!

I pinned last night while watching American Ninja Warrior until I ran out of pins (which was slightly over half way in my project)... I have a lot less pins than I used to because I'm switching over to nicer ones and if the old ones fall on the floor, they get swept up and out and not reused. I use the glass ball topped extra long quilting ones, I've been gifted with the next grade up from Dritz type, still long and with glass ball but thinner shafts. I think after this project and it will be time to switch out to the new ones.

I have to admit, I do watch a lot of "reality based" tv. Love the Ninja Warriors, love the Masked Singer, Amazing Race, even Forged in Fire, not so much on the lifestyle ones like Kardashians or Housewives.

So I've had my first cup of coffee, perused the boards, and now off to the sewing room -- see you all next break
    Old 11-07-2020, 06:12 AM

Ughhh....moving....blech...car shopping. I am so lucky that I'm not doing those things this weekend. My sympathies to those who are.

The rain has finally started in our area, so the loft is warm and cozy. Time to quilt!

Yesterday, I cleaned my sewing space, which was no small feat. Today, I'm starting to machine quilt a quilt in a, "wood grain," design. I love it, because I hardly have to twist the quilt around while sewing. It's like a wavy line design with a, "few boo-boos," made to look like knots. I'm also going to get back to working on my, "animal forest," quilt. I have about 10 blocks done, so far. I'm excited to see what everyone else is doing. Thanks for staring up the thread.
    Old 11-07-2020, 06:25 AM

Thanks Raggiemom, for hosting!

Got lots to share this weekend! First, I finished piecing my sister's Double Wedding Ring last week. Super proud of myself and love how it turned out. I do apologize for the picture, when I took it, we were having a rather breezy weekend and it took forever for the wind to die down enough I could snap it!

Then, I started on my niece's quilt. That kid is having a really bad 2020 and I felt the need to get started on her quilt sooner than I planned. It's a mini-Irish chain, I got the idea watching Jenny Doan make the mini-double nine patch when the video came out and it all fell together that the quilt was going to be for my niece. She's loving it so far, so am I.

Then, I finally got some new rulers, 12.5, 9.5, 6.5 and 4.5, all square. I was hoping for Omnigrid's ruler set to come down in price, but it seemed like every time I turned around, the price hadn't moved much and these popped up on Amazon, so thought I would try them. Really liking them a lot, I'm glad I picked them up. Anybody heard of a company called Vallenwood?

So this weekend, it's just work on my niece's quilt. I've got 18 of the double nine patches done, I've got 18 more to go and then piece them with the blank blocks.

And yes, I'm absolutely open for a New Year's Eve VQW, would be a great way to ring in the New Year!
    Attached Thumbnails leahs.jpg   julies.jpg   rulers.jpg  
    Old 11-07-2020, 06:40 AM

Railroadersbrat, the DWR you are making for your sister is beautiful and the mini Irish chain is looking lovely. Well done! That is also an interesting ruler. I certainly haven’t heard of the company but that doesn’t mean a whole lot.
    Old 11-07-2020, 06:57 AM

Not sure if you guys saw this link I posted for totes on sale at AQS web site for 5.00/6.25 + s/h. Take some time and reward yourself with a new quilter's tote.
    https://shop.americanquilter.com/mer...content=Retail
    Old 11-07-2020, 10:04 AM

I decided to make a bag to hold the Sew Steady extension table for my machine. I only use it when I go to retreats because the machine sits in a table at home.
    Attached Thumbnails 20201107_124230.jpg   20201107_124048.jpg   20201107_124034.jpg