Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Virtual Quilting Weekend -- November 10-12, 2017 >
  • Virtual Quilting Weekend -- November 10-12, 2017

• Virtual Quilting Weekend -- November 10-12, 2017

Old 11-12-2017, 10:51 AM

I have completed two blocks and a third is ready to be attacked by my lil twist ruler! Had to go out and buy more fabric! One charm pack wasn't enough! I have really enjoyed seeing and hearing about everyone's projects. A lot of productivity happening this weekend!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]583761[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails img_0848-800x600-.jpg  
    Old 11-12-2017, 12:19 PM

I had high hopes of finishing my blue sampler, but that will not happen this weekend. I keep changing my mind on how to quilt it, so I have spent a lot of time picking quilting lines, which is not very fun. I was going cross-hatch it, jumping over the sashing but I just did not care for that. So now the feed dogs are dropped and the ruler foot is on. I will try quilting each block.

I doubt I will finish today. Right now there is an apple/cranberry buckle in the oven and creamy rice pudding on the stove. It is one of my brother's birthday today and it is dinner at my folks tonight. I also need to finish the weekend household chores before the work week starts. The weekends just fly too fast.

It has been wonderful to see how productive everyone else has been. I really enjoy these VQW

Last edited by tscweaves; 11-12-2017 at 12:20 PM. Reason: typos, again - dratted virtual keyboard
    Old 11-12-2017, 12:27 PM

Rob, the collage looks great! Sister-in-law is now on her way south. We have had lunch and cleaned up the yard and covered a car for the winter. Now what to work on for the next 2 hours until I have to go to work? Think I will do some hand sewing on a Jinny Beyer BOM I started in 2015. Thank you for the suggestions on the one I am going to work on on Monday. Only problem is I'm not that great at following the panto-graph on the long arm. Will post picture when done.
    Old 11-12-2017, 12:39 PM

Thanks Watson.

Trisher- Those blocks are really neat. I did a large twister once, but did it as an all-over pattern and it about drove me batty trying to get it laid out in a way that looked good. I like the way you're doing them with the light sawtooth border around each block-- they still have the tessellated effect, but the addition of the borders will add a secondary pattern on top of that and give it some structure.

Here's what I've been working on this afternoon. I thought I would be able to get it ready for some thread painting and then quilting, but when I looked at it I decided that there were some areas that needed to be darkened in order to pop the focal points up some, so there's still a few areas that haven't been painted yet. I used a very fine line Sharpie marker to do the original drawing on a piece of muslin and the coloring has been done with Inktense pencils and fabric medium.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails img_1562.jpg  
    Old 11-12-2017, 12:42 PM

Raggiemom... sorry to hear you are under the weather - I haven't been very productive this weekend either. I went Christmas shopping with DD yesterday and just can't seem to get going today.
    New Years Day for VQW sounds good to me!

Great work everyone!
    Old 11-12-2017, 12:45 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583771[/ATTACH]
    I finished the 4th and last doll quilt this morning and packed them, along with a doll and and other toys and goodies
    into shoeboxes for one of my favorite charities (not sure I'm allowed to mention it specifically).

Why do the pictures that appear correctly oriented on my screen get turned sideways when I'm drafting a post?
    I can't figure out how to turn them on here.

Anyway, the second one:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583776[/ATTACH]
    More coming...
    Attached Thumbnails img_1293.jpg   img_1292.jpg   img_1299.jpg  
    Old 11-12-2017, 12:52 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583777[/ATTACH]

The checkerboard one uses all the same fabrics as the one in the previous post.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583778[/ATTACH]

Lastly, the mama and baby dolphin quilt is the last one I made after being inspired by the church dash quilt swap here. It's 12.5 plus binding, and seems the perfect size.
    Attached Thumbnails img_1297-1-.jpg   img_1302.jpg  
    Old 11-12-2017, 02:07 PM

I've finished the dresden plate quilt I wanted to today! I have a second quilt sandwiched and ready to go tonight I tried to upload pictures of the two quilts but the upload failed. and thank you, I'm feeling better . Looks like LOTS is getting done this weekend.
    Old 11-12-2017, 02:34 PM

Finished. It's on stretcher bars, no binding. The art gallery is changing it's exhibit this week to winter/holidays.

It is improvisational pieced. Reminded me of houses, so it got roofs, chimney and smoke. Then railing on the fron and a road. Finished it reminded me of old cabins at the lake. There are also 6 companion pieces 10x12".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583790[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails dscn2641.jpg  
    Old 11-12-2017, 03:02 PM

Zozee- those are sweet.

Raggimom- glad you're feeling better!

petthefabric- Very cool quilt. I love the fact that it's improvisational piecing and those colors are fabulous!

Rob