Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Virtual Quilting Weekend -- September 2 to 5, 2016 >
  • Virtual Quilting Weekend -- September 2 to 5, 2016

• Virtual Quilting Weekend -- September 2 to 5, 2016

Old 09-05-2016, 01:14 PM
    Power Poster

Every body has beautiful, fun and scary things going on. it has been a wonderful VQW.
    peace
    Old 09-05-2016, 02:02 PM

I've enjoyed my first time participating in the VQW. It helped me stay focused on my table runner. I have it quilted now & all that is left is the binding. I'm going to wait on that for a while as I'm waiting for some little sew in labels to come in the mail & I want to put one on it. I don't actually label my quilts/quilting items but I do have some little labels that say "Handmade by......". I'm almost out of them & have reordered some from a different company & they are going to say "Made with love by......" & they will have a little heart group on them. I want to use the new labels for the table runner.
    Old 09-05-2016, 02:36 PM

It's been a lot of fun seeing what everyone else is working on. After finishing the quilt top for Gd's quilt, I had to order some backing fabric before I could sandwich and quilt it, so I set that aside and have spent a good part of today working on a collaborative project that I am doing with another artist. He did the painting of circles in a circle back in June, gave it to me and I couched the strings of crystals onto it, did some decorative stitching and gave it back to him. He then repainted it to give the circles more oomph and gave it back to me last month. I sandwiched it and added extra batting in the circle and have been FMQing around the individual circles. It's hard to tell from the photo, but with the extra batting, the individual circles are beginning to stand out nicely. I am fmqing pebbles in some of the background areas to give it some texture. I am contemplating mounting it on the green pin tucked fabric that it is pinned to at the moment. Once I'm finished with the fmqing it will go back to him, possibly to paint the batting. Then we will decide how it should be presented.

Rob<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>
    Attached Thumbnails img_0789.jpg  
    Old 09-05-2016, 03:26 PM

This has been a great VQW -- thanks to everyone for sharing your projects and your company! I'm not posting any photos because (1) I am still in the piecing stage on my quilt (not much to look at yet), and (2) I don't remember how to post photos anyway! I have been sewing several hours each day this weekend. My quilt top will be about 56"x56" and I've cut all the pieces and pieced about a quarter of the top. First time trying HSTs; at first the points were 50/50 hit or miss, but I seem to have gotten better at them. Ripped out a few blocks and tried them over again. I'm really liking the quilt pattern, except the fact that it calls for 3 similar blues but doesn't say which ones are used where -- just have to squint at my computer screen. Ended up spending a couple of hours making and marking up a paper pattern key to show the color scheme as best I could...
    Old 09-05-2016, 03:33 PM

I've been cutting 2" and 2.5" squares all weekend for the upcoming Fall swaps:-) I'm imaging what beautiful quilts they will be made into and where their future living home will be:-)
    Old 09-05-2016, 03:53 PM

Such lovely pictures! I had my pics all figured out until they (all the computer geeks in the family) changed things around and I can't remember how to do it the new way. They'll have to show me again.

I worked on a scrappy quilt which now has quilt designs marked and it's now a quilt top instead of pieces. Will be ready for sandwiching as soon as I have pressed one final time.

Did some pressing on my bargello strip sets also. It's really been a very productive weekend.

Now I'm ready to finish the wonderful weekend by sitting in my recliner and looking through quilt books for a pattern for a 32" wallhanging. Ahh life is good.
    Old 09-05-2016, 04:10 PM

Well as this draws to a close I am pooped! I really got a lot done! I cut out the quilt as I planned and I have put together 4 squares so far...(see 2437). I made a baby quilt (2436) from a panel that I cut apart, still working on the binding of a quilt (2438) this is a disappearing 1/2 square triangle. I also made a small quick quilt (2435) called Crazy eights..made from 8 fat quarters. This pattern is from Bits 'n Pieces (www.bitsnpieces.net) Number.460.
    Attached Thumbnails dscn2435.jpg   dscn2436.jpg   dscn2437.jpg   dscn2438.jpg  
    Old 09-05-2016, 05:33 PM

What a great VQW! Sharon, you knocked those tops out! Good work everyone. For myself, I took today off to spend some shopping time with my DD.
    Old 09-05-2016, 05:50 PM

Got a lot done today, got my oldest UFO put together and now just need to quilt it. I got the first borders cut and pinned on my black/white and red quilt. Put a ton of fabric away and sorted out and boxed up some planned projects so I don't accidentally use the fabric on another project. Done that twice now lol. Still need to get some navy fabric for the border on my DH quilt top then it will be done too. I have a stack of four other flimsies ready to go and will get my babylock Jane set up on my new tables to start quilting hopefully later this week.
    Old 09-05-2016, 05:53 PM
    Power Poster

What great quilts, Sharon! Love your 30's fabrics, too.

I finally did get my Japanese lanterns quilt done... All ready for donation tomorrow night.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]557626[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]557627[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails dsc02777-small-.jpg   dsc02778-small-.jpg