Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Wadding/Batting as outer layer >
  • Wadding/Batting as outer layer

• Wadding/Batting as outer layer

Old 07-10-2014, 04:13 AM

This was the way I understood it too.
    Old 07-10-2014, 04:20 AM

You could use a fairly light weight fleece fabric instead of batting. I think it would wear better as the batting is meant for enclosure. I think the instructions meant that you could use the white batting inside your quilt so that the color of the batting would not show through the light colored patches on the top. I think you could use it on the top if you were making a wall hanging or something that would not be washed a lot but I don't know why you would want to do that really. A good quality flannel or fleece would probably be a better choice.
    Old 07-10-2014, 04:24 AM
    Power Poster

Sorry, NO, it doesn't make any sense. W&N is NOT made like a fabric and when you wash your quilt, all your applique work will be absolutely a mess.
    Old 07-10-2014, 05:48 AM
    Power Poster

I would not want any batting/wadding exposed. Just my opinion for my quilts.

Welcome to this wonderful board you will get lots of opinions and help.
    Old 07-10-2014, 07:29 AM

Haven't read the entire thread (sorry! no time! ) but try googling Shadow Trapunto Quilts .... it might be what you are looking for. If not, it is an interesting technique some of you may want to try.... Happy Quilting and welcome to the board...
    Old 07-10-2014, 07:38 AM

I say it is your quilt, do what you wish. Do something smaller like a lap quilt maybe you will come up with a new fresh idea or maybe you will be the next up and coming textile artist.
    Old 07-10-2014, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by borntoquilt
    Haven't read the entire thread (sorry! no time! ) but try googling Shadow Trapunto Quilts .... it might be what you are looking for. If not, it is an interesting technique some of you may want to try.... Happy Quilting and welcome to the board...
    Wow! What an interesting technique! Thanks for sharing!
    Old 07-10-2014, 05:48 PM

Every dust bunny, thread pieces, hair, and any other airborne particle will cling to your batting. Once embedded it's difficult to remove. I would not recommend using it. Hey this is a great question!! Good on you!
    Old 07-11-2014, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
    Welcome to the QB, Ogle! Your curiosity is a breath of fresh air today in our hot, sticky weather.

I know that exposed W&N works very well for both wall quilts and art quilts, though I'm not at all sure it would stand up to the frequent washings of a bed/utility quilt. I'd love to see your experiments!!

It has been used frequently, dyed or painted, as an outer surface by some art quilters. A few examples:
    http://judyperez.blogspot.com/2008/1...-with-rit.html
    http://paintedthreadsprojects.blogsp...g-batting.html
    http://approachable-art.blogspot.com...art-quilt.html

I know I've seen it just plain 'au naturel' as well, but can't seem to find any appropriate examples for you. Sorry.
    Ghost rider I can't thank you enough! Way cool! Definitely going to try this technique.
    Old 07-11-2014, 04:45 AM

Ogle, Welcome you will find that being a quilter is like being a small child - you are always wanting to try new things and learn new things. Part of being a quilter is stepping outside of the box (we have all done this), and for some of us that's why we are quilters because we have always seen and done things outside of the box.
    As far as your question about using your batting as the backing of your quilt goes. If the quilt is only an fiber art piece, not to be used or washed a lot. Then sure you can, look at all the pictures of fiber art work that shown in museums. But if your wanting to use the quilt or give it as a gift to be used, you will need a fabric backing. Batting is made to be inside (sandwiched between fabrics).
    Good luck with what you decide to do, please post pictures when your finished.